What's new

Need help with wireless redundancy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

caseten

New Around Here
I have an older WRT54G running DD-WRT.

Once every 4 months or so, the wireless goes out to lunch, and I reset the router. No big deal for me, but it's a big deal for my wife, because she doesn't get that it just doesn't work all the time.

So, I'm looking for a solution that is more reliable (doubtful) or adding a access point (same SSID different channel) so that if the wireless goes out the laptop will just switch to the AP on the other channel and she will be none the wiser.

Heck, I'd buy a Apple Airport, pfsense hardware or other set of devices if I can get it to be 100% reliable, but I'm not sure that's possible.

Thoughts?

BTW we live in a hot area that may affect the electronics, since the upstairs where the router is is a bit hot.

I wonder: In the last 6 years or so, I've had a WRT54G then a WRH54G. Only time I've had to reboot is after I confused its ARP and DHCP by screwing around with the LAN.

Are you sure the problem isn't on the client side? It's too easy for the laptop to choose the wrong SSID.

This may be unpopular, and I speak as an ex-DD-WRT user, but that firmware is so feature-rich that it can't help but be less reliable than a GOOD WiFi router (good firmware, not D-Link, not most Netgear), without exceeding your needs.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!