What's new

Need router that won't need to be reset every 2 days

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bej08

Occasional Visitor
We just moved houses and had to buy another router (moved our old Belkin router to the other end of the house as an AP). Bought a TP-Link 1043ND router, worked great for first few days then needed to be reset every 2-3 days (could see wireless SSID, but could never connect. Also unable to connect via ethernet). Returned for another 1043ND, thinking it was a lemon. New one also needs to be reset every few days now.

So, now I'm looking for a router that will just work without me having to venture to the garage every other day to reset it. Too many people at home depend on the network while I'm away and complain that it's always down.

Doesn't need to be that fancy - DDNS, WPA2/AES, 4 LAN ports, good Wireless N range are only real requirements. Gigabit ports and DD-WRT/Tomato would be nice, but not necessary. USB another bonus, but not needed at this point. For use with Comcast Cisco DPC3008 modem (30/10 speed plan).

So, what do you guys recommend?

What is the temperature in the garage? Hi/low temp could affect the router.

Also, you could try putting the router on a UPS. Good practice for any router
you buy, especially if your area is prone to thunderstorms, brownouts, voltage spikes.

Ups

I second the suggestion to use a UPS on your router, but also plug your modem into the UPS.

I used to have to reboot my equipment ever so often. In the eighteen months since installing the UPS I seldom have to reboot and that is usually only because some script jockey forces me to do it.

As an added advantage during short (less than one hour ) power outages your internet will still be working and you can go on line with your laptop and other battery powered devices.

Best $65 I ever spent on improving my network reliability.

Two Surge APC and wall mount Surge. I have brown outs here all the time. Need the extra protection.

Hey what's the temp in that Garage?

Want a router that doesn't need frequent rebooting?

1. Don't buy mass market WiFi routers like D-Link and Netgear. I have suggestions but won't make them here for fear of flame wars.

2. Confirm that the client devices do not have the same issues on other WiFi access devices.

3. Make sure your WiFi router is correctly configured, e.g., encryption on, SSID personalized.

4. Make sure your client devices are configured so that they cannot go seek out a neighbor's open/unrestricted WiFi.

uptime0.jpg

FWIW: Got about 28 days uptime w/o reset since last build of Shibby's Tomato was flashed onto my RT-N66U...

OpenVPNuptime0.jpg

Maybe even more impressive should be the continuous OpenVPN client connection since Sep13 from my kid's remotely located router!;)

Last edited:
Tim should run a "whose router can have the longest uptime" contest.

I usually only power cycle mine when I'm testing a new router or when the power goes out due to a storm. I'd get a UPS for the fun of seeing how long it could stay up. I've seen 60 days easily before and I'm sure there are others who have seen just as long or longer.

Heat is probably the biggest factor, I think some careful analysis of your network and neighboring wireless probably also helps.

12 of the clients on my home network are wireless, I'm sure others have many more. 30 days looks like what one router has for uptime at the moment, power cycled due to a thunderstorm. It only runs DD-WRT because the Buffalo firmware didn't support reverse NAT'ing, not because DD-WRT is necessarily more stable or better.

router-1.jpg

What is the temperature in the garage? Hi/low temp could affect the router.

Also, you could try putting the router on a UPS. Good practice for any router
you buy, especially if your area is prone to thunderstorms, brownouts, voltage spikes.

Wow, didn't check the thread yesterday and wasn't expecting so many responses.

We live in the SF Bay Area, so it never gets that cold in the garage. It's been in the 90s here the last few days and the garage has probably been mid-80s at the highest, so I don't think temperature should be a factor.

I guess I could get a UPS, but that seems like a little bit of overkill for me. I'd rather just get a router that works like my old WRt54G or Belkin $40 target special (which is now the AP).

Want a router that doesn't need frequent rebooting?

1. Don't buy mass market WiFi routers like D-Link and Netgear. I have suggestions but won't make them here for fear of flame wars.

2. Confirm that the client devices do not have the same issues on other WiFi access devices.

3. Make sure your WiFi router is correctly configured, e.g., encryption on, SSID personalized.

4. Make sure your client devices are configured so that they cannot go seek out a neighbor's open/unrestricted WiFi.

The mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, windows laptop) have no issue on other wifi networks. They work just fine after a reboot as well.

Router is configured with personalized SSID, WPA-2/AES, auto channel, DDNS, 20/40 auto, DHCP enable and a reserved address for media server. There's only 2 other wifi signals in the area, and both are pretty weak (I never have seen our devices try to connect to them. I believe they're protected anyway.)

order a good product via the internet rather than junk in retail shelves.

If you must: I'd go Belkin or Linksys, under $100.

I use Cradlepoint. I have several in use. They all run for months, some unattended, never reboot. Mine at home does the same. Cradlepoint sells mostly to commecial users who need a reliable unattended router - like ones inside vending machines, in libraries, etc. Most have cellular backup fail-over if you have a modem plugged in, and if you even need that.

Last edited:
order a good product via the internet rather than junk in retail shelves.

While I appreciate the reply, this advice isn't very helpful. Is there some secret 'non-junk' brand only available online that I'm not aware of?

We use the internet for browsing, streaming netflix/hulu/amazon, and I have a Plex media server running on the home PC. We aren't power users that need super-boffo router or NAS or download torrents and whatnot... I just want one that won't need to be reset constantly.

UPS: not expensive

I guess I could get a UPS, but that seems like a little bit of overkill for me.

Actually, I second that UPS suggestion. Citation: various DD WRT/Anandtech forums and Slashdot posts over the years:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/08/07/12/2322213/why-do-we-have-to-restart-routers

I'm a network admin for an ISP, and we've been recommending UPSs for the frequent-reboot routers that our customers have. We've found that routers (especially Linksys) have a real problem with power fluctuations that most other systems and devices don't notice. A decent line-conditioning UPS might solve your problems, but a cheap one will suffice.

Power dips/spikes in your house from refrigerator coming on, A/C if you have it, etc--I have seen some pretty flaky home wiring.....

A UPS is not expensive--you might want to give it a try.

While I appreciate the reply, this advice isn't very helpful. Is there some secret 'non-junk' brand only available online that I'm not aware of?

We use the internet for browsing, streaming netflix/hulu/amazon, and I have a Plex media server running on the home PC. We aren't power users that need super-boffo router or NAS or download torrents and whatnot... I just want one that won't need to be reset constantly.

Three words...

Apple Airport Extreme - it's a mainstream router, reasonably stable - not the most feature rich, and there is the "apple tax" - but for the most part, they're solid devices...

Cradlepoint never-reboot. They're used for unattended machine to machine, US developed firmware - same on all products. Just works. There are other modestly priced non-consumer WiFi routers that are reliable because of the customer base they serve.

Netgear, Linksys, D-Link - change their firmware developer (spot market in Asia) as often as I change diets. So product-to-product, it's a crap-shoot.