What's new

Network Map client names Backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asad Ali

Very Senior Member
Hello guys I want to know is there any way or file which I can backup to save the network map clients custom names and pictures? I'm asking because I have tons of clients and I like to give each one a separate name and picture to differentiate between them easily but everytime there's a major firmware upgrade the recommended approach is to do a clean install of everything and start from scratch and I can easily do everything else except doing that one thing because it's very time consuming and not all clients are available all the time.

So anyway to backup just that part of network map so I can simply SSH the file to the filesystem on new install?

Hello guys I want to know is there any way or file which I can backup to save the network map clients custom names and pictures?
You have to use the nvram key "custom_clientlist" to backup/restore the clients custom names.
For the icons, just backup/restore all files from/to folder "/jffs/usericon".

You have to use the nvram key "custom_clientlist" to backup/restore the clients custom names.
For the icons, just backup/restore all files from/to folder "/jffs/usericon".

Thanks I am able to see all the custom names using "nvram get custom_clientlist" but how can I use it?

How to backup and then restore the list after reset? Can you point me to any step by step guide?

Thanks I am able to see all the custom names using "nvram get custom_clientlist" but how can I use it?

How to backup and then restore the list after reset? Can you point me to any step by step guide?

Backup contents of custom names to a file

nvram show | grep custom_clientlist > /tmp/list.sh

Just edit file /tmp/list.sh and insert double quotes after "=" and at the end of files, then insert "nvram set" before "custom_clientlist". In this way we create a script that will set the nvram key.

For example we may have:

#! /bin/sh
nvram set custom_clientlist="<client>11:22:33:44:55:66>0>0>>"
nvram commit

Backup contents of custom names to a file

nvram show | grep custom_clientlist > /tmp/list.sh

Just edit file /tmp/list.sh and insert double quotes after "=" and at the end of files, then insert "nvram set" before "custom_clientlist". In this way we create a script that will set the nvram key.

For example we may have:

#! /bin/sh
nvram set custom_clientlist="<client>11:22:33:44:55:66>0>0>>"
nvram commit

Ok perfect thanks and I just need to run this script once or I have to use events like wan-start to run it on every reboot?

Ok perfect thanks and I just need to run this script once or I have to use events like wan-start to run it on every reboot?

You need to run this script only once, it is important to use "nvram commit" at the end of the script, in this way the key remains even after a reboot.
Script must be executed after a factory reset.

We can use also other nvram keys to make backup/restore of other long lists, such as wifi mac addresses (all keys starting with "maclist" word), DHCP static list (key is "dhcp_staticlist"), Port Forwarding (key is "vts_rulelist") and QOS (key is "qos_rulelist").

Probably should move the file to someplace else besides the /TMP folder also. That will get erased if the router is rebooted. A USB drive is safest so it won't get erased on accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably should move the file to someplace else besides the /TMP folder also. That will get erased if the router is rebooted. A USB drive is safest so it won't get erased on accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just for saving it for the first time, from there I will backup it to my computer using SSH.