What's new

new firmware on asus site 374.257

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Firmware 2xx was based on Broadcom SDK 5.100. With 354 Asus upgraded to SDK 5.110, with a totally different wireless driver, which introduced the issue. So reverting back to FW 270 was also reverting you back to the 5.100 driver, which was working correctly.

It was a bug/compatibility issue introduced with the 5.110 driver. Everyone with a Centrino 63xx, 62xx and 5xxx were affected.

Right. So what's your point?

The 5.110 driver introduced a compatibility issue with more than just Centrino 63xx, 62xx and 5xxx.

But it seems like you cannot accept that. In your mind, only certain intel products were affected by the new driver.

I can confirm that this one really has a fixed 5 GHz band - that's the beta I received from Asus a few days ago and that I tested here.

Note that you might need to delete the wireless connection profile from your computer and reconfigure it if you still have issues with the 5 GHz band. But after that, it was working fine for my 6230, as well as my contact's Intel 5000 card.

yea,I had to do that exactly and it was fine after that

Right. So what's your point?

You asked me to explain why it was working fine when going back to 270. I told you the difference between 270 and 354.

But it seems like you cannot accept that. In your mind, only certain intel products were affected by the new driver.

This is the second time to are saying that I am denying that your card has a compatibility issue, and I already told you twice that I never said it didn't. So I'm not sure why you keep repeating the same thing and skipping over my answers.

You asked me to explain why it was working fine when going back to 270. I told you the difference between 270 and 354.

This is the second time to are saying that I am denying that your card has a compatibility issue, and I already told you twice that I never said it didn't. So I'm not sure why you keep repeating the same thing and skipping over my answers.

Ok. That's fine. What I'm posting in this forum is the following:

This firmware did not fix the incompatibility between the new .3xx asus wireless driver and the Linksys AE2500 (2X2 broadcom chipset) on 5 Ghz. Apparently it did not fix the incompatibility with forum member Chief_OS 2X2 broadcom chipset either.

Does Asus have an ETA on a fix?

Can Asus respond to this thread and give an ETA?

It's wonderful that you fixed the troublesome Intel and Ralink issues, but please indicate if you have no intentions of fixing certain Broadcom adapters that also have incompatiblity issues with the .3xx driver.

It seems like you are speaking for Asus here. How do you even know that Asus attempted to reproduce the problem with my adapter or Chief_OS adapter? You don't.

This firmware fixed a Ralink adapter for one forum member. Ralink is not Intel. Several forum members beat it to death that it was just an incompatibility with "some Intel cards". That was never the case.

You have so many conclusions in your mind with your problem. If you don't help yourself no one will help you. Focus your effort in solving your problem with asus, it will not be fix in this forum.:rolleyes:

You have so many conclusions in your mind with your problem. If you don't help yourself no one will help you. Focus your effort in solving your problem with asus, it will not be fix in this forum.:rolleyes:

The only conclusion that I have come to is your responses are not helpful and are annoying.

The only conclusion that I have come to is your responses are not helpful and are annoying.

Annoying because you are not getting what you want? This will be my last post on this since you don't listen to anybody anyway.:rolleyes:

Decided to give this one a try. It is working with my USB-N66 adapter and the latest ASUS drivers (1.0.0.9) for it, but...the time required for adapter to associate on 5GHz/40MHz is significantly longer than with the 3.0.0.4.276 firmware. If there are any other glitches, will be going back to the previously mentioned firmware until the new Broadcom driver is "fixed".

I didn't ask you to explain why it was working fine when going back to 270.
I know why it worked fine when you went back to .270. It worked fine for the same reason my adapters work fine when I go back to .270. Because there is an incompatibility issue.

My questions were rhetorical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question

But thanks for explaining anyway.

I sent another email to Jeremy. I need to dump this router if they don't fix it soon. Thanks for all your help.

Decided to give this one a try. It is working with my USB-N66 adapter and the latest ASUS drivers (1.0.0.9) for it, but...the time required for adapter to associate on 5GHz/40MHz is significantly longer than with the 3.0.0.4.276 firmware. If there are any other glitches, will be going back to the previously mentioned firmware until the new Broadcom driver is "fixed".

Make sure you delete the wireless profile on your computer and recreate it. That was needed for my Centrino adapter, or else it would still only connect at 6 Mbps.

Make sure you delete the wireless profile on your computer and recreate it. That was needed for my Centrino adapter, or else it would still only connect at 6 Mbps.

I did not initally delete the client wireless profile since it did eventually associate @ 450Mbps, but then did delete and recreate it. The behavior did not change.

If I feel motivated, I might experiment with the .276 and .374 firmware/drivers and compare time to associate. Without using a timer, I would have to say the difference is at least 1-2 minutes. Long enough that you think it might not work.

Last edited:
I did not initally delete the client wireless profile since it did eventually associate @ 450Mbps, but then did delete and recreate it. The behavior did not change.

If I feel motivated, I might experiment with the .276 and .374 firmware/drivers and compare time to associate. Without using a timer, I would have to say the difference is at least 1-2 minutes. Long enough that you think it might not work.

1-2 minutes sounds abnormal to me. My laptop takes only a few seconds to establish a connection. Maybe 10 seconds at most with the RT-N66U (a bit faster on the RT-AC56U).

What are your wireless settings? Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be your computer trying different encryption schemes before finally finding one that works properly.

No cigar here

Also mention which version you have installed now when you post the results with 374_257. Considering how old your driver was, there's a good chance that the update might help.

I can say with certainty that 3.0.0.4.374.257 did not remedy the 5gHz connection issue with my Dell Precision 6300 Laptop.

The wireless driver for the laptop was upgraded to Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software driver 12.4.4.5 10/26/2009, the latest driver available from Dell, before installing 3.0.0.4.374.257 on the router. I performed the recommended >5 second router reset and profile recreation on the machine. I still noticed wide variation in wireless throughput and reported connection speeds.

When I reverted back to 3.0.0.4.276 5gHz stability returned.

Is there any real reason to upgrade from 3.0.0.4.276?

While this is a vast improvement for Asus factory firmware, I have to say that I agree with the association time problem. I had to try to connect to the 5GHz. network several times (with both the Linksys AE3000 and Asus USB-N66, both Ralink-based) after removing the network profile before they finally made a connection. Before this, one try was enough, just a few seconds. This time I actually found myself googling to find out if there wasn't a way to increase Windows 8 timeout before it gives up on connecting with a wireless network. At least it would have made it on the first try if it would have waited long enough (I feel).

Anyways, being able to connect at all at 450Mbps is a giant step forward, and once connected everything is great. But the amount of work to initially connect at 5GHz is a problem...I had actually given up, then I noticed that it had finally connected. On the other hand, if all goes well, you only need to do this once.

The initial connection on 2.4GHz. band was much quicker, pretty much normal.

So it seems to me that they're about 90% of the way there, just need to accelerate the connection time on 5GHz for network adapters like mine.

I can say with certainty that 3.0.0.4.374.257 did not remedy the 5gHz connection issue with my Dell Precision 6300 Laptop.

The wireless driver for the laptop was upgraded to Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software driver 12.4.4.5 10/26/2009, the latest driver available from Dell, before installing 3.0.0.4.374.257 on the router. I performed the recommended >5 second router reset and profile recreation on the machine. I still noticed wide variation in wireless throughput and reported connection speeds.

When I reverted back to 3.0.0.4.276 5gHz stability returned.

Is there any real reason to upgrade from 3.0.0.4.276?

12.4 is still way old. I recommend downloading the driver from Intel's site instead, and testing again with it (recreate the wireless profile on your laptop after you upgrade the driver).

While this is a vast improvement for Asus factory firmware, I have to say that I agree with the association time problem. I had to try to connect to the 5GHz. network several times (with both the Linksys AE3000 and Asus USB-N66, both Ralink-based) after removing the network profile before they finally made a connection. Before this, one try was enough, just a few seconds. This time I actually found myself googling to find out if there wasn't a way to increase Windows 8 timeout before it gives up on connecting with a wireless network. At least it would have made it on the first try if it would have waited long enough (I feel).

Anyways, being able to connect at all at 450Mbps is a giant step forward, and once connected everything is great. But the amount of work to initially connect at 5GHz is a problem...I had actually given up, then I noticed that it had finally connected. On the other hand, if all goes well, you only need to do this once.

The initial connection on 2.4GHz. band was much quicker, pretty much normal.

So it seems to me that they're about 90% of the way there, just need to accelerate the connection time on 5GHz for network adapters like mine.

Interesting - this one could be specific to Ralink devices. I only have Intel (6230) and Broadcom (an USB-AC53 and my various Android devices) here so I don't have any Ralink-based device to test with.

Is your router set to WPA2 AES (rather than WPA-AUTO AES+TKIP)?

Also try changing the Preamble type to "Short" on the Advanced (5 GHz) page.

Last edited:
This firmware did not totally address the 5 GHz issue for me with the EA-N66. It would connect, and I did not get any disconnects on this version like I got with the previous .37x releases, but speeds were very unstable. They have made progress, but there are still issues. I have reverted back to 3.0.0.4.276.

This firmware did not totally address the 5 GHz issue for me with the EA-N66. .
What is EA-N66's chipset? Is it an asus brand?

OOOps, NVM I think it's the same USB wireless client Rogers posted above, it's a Ralink.

Last edited:
For the first time in a long while, I was able to get my Atheros chip to hold a decent connection on 5GHz. Will monitor it for a while, but so far so good.

Update...well after numerous reboots and no WAN/internet. I reset after initially just installing this version. However that did not fix my disconnects of the WAN/internet. They weren't actually disconnecting rather still connected but no internet. Had an IP still from my cable modem.

I then thought it was the cable modem. Nope wasn't that. Turned out that from two days ago my DDNS settings to update the IP was causing some issue preventing WAN/internet traffic. So I disabled that and all is good. Wonder what happened?

On to the 5Ghz issue with this firmware...After a few resets of my N66U from the above issue. I have noticed it takes longer to connect on my 6300 card in my Win 7 laptop. It will also only connect at 150mbps max. All the other FW's it would connect at 300mbps.

It will initially connect at 450mbps but then it drops to 150mbps. I might add that I only have two antennas hooked up to it. I installed the 6300 as an aftermarket addon to my sony laptop. So I can understand maybe not 450mbps. But why only 150mbps? Other FW's would get 300mbps out of it.