What's new

new firmware on asus site 374.257

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This new firmware is a huge improvement in that I can now connect @ 300 mbps with my Centrino 6250.

Transfer speed tests are strange though: Copying a file from my wired server to my laptop goes @ 25 MBps, about 3 MBps quicker than ever. So far so good!

However, Copying a file from the laptop to the server only goes @ 11,5 MBps, about half the speed I was getting with Merlin's latest firmware.

Unfortunately, this last scenario occurs far more frequently, so I am not sure I am sticking with this one.

Last edited:
Interesting - this one could be specific to Ralink devices. I only have Intel (6230) and Broadcom (an USB-AC53 and my various Android devices) here so I don't have any Ralink-based device to test with.

Is your router set to WPA2 AES (rather than WPA-AUTO AES+TKIP)?

Also try changing the Preamble type to "Short" on the Advanced (5 GHz) page.

Yes, I always use WPA2-personal AES.

"Short" preamble didn't help.

Good thoughts, no luck. Thanks.

Reverting back to previous firmware. Maybe they'll get it right next time. I'll send Jeremy a note about the Ralink problems I'm seeing, including the network adapter that's the Asus product...they must be doing stringent testing there.

Last edited:
Anyone tried on iPad 3? Doesn't seem to fix the poor 5Ghz performance on the newer drivers. Reverted to Merlin's 372_31.

i think for intel 4965 AGN cards there were not new updates since vresion 13 something...

the 15.8.xx set of drivers from intel have nothing for intel 4965AGN.

do you guys found an upto date version? although i think intel has long stopped the dev on that card

You can scan for new drivers for your wireless adapter on this page:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Don't know if it resolves your issue but it gives you newer drivers then dell is providing. Did it also on my Dell M6300.

Thanks, I just updated to the latest driver from the Intel site. I am going to sit this one out with 3.0.0.4.276 for a while, I did two complete install / uninstall cycles with the latest router firmware so far and will let others beta test it. Bottom line is 276 works great for me...

I have the rt-n66u. When I connect my Android Samsung Galaxy S4 phone to the 2.4 band, my connection seems solid. When I connect to the 5g band it connects, however, randomly it will drop signal, no rhyme or reason. It may go hours and be fine or it may drop it few times an hour. When trying to reconnect, it will give me authentication error. Only seems to happen on 5g band. I have both bands set up with default settings and have tried every channel. This has happened with every firmware release. Any ideas? Thanks.

Just a thought are you sure your phone is not going out of range of the 5G band and that's why the connection is being dropped. 5G don't have the range of 2.4G.

Try to use a fixed lower channel in 5G and make sure the 2.4G profile is removed, using one band at a time.

I think what Bluepoint meant was to remove the 2.4 G profile from your device and try just the 5G band. All others that are using the 2.4 G will be unaffected.

I think what Bluepoint meant was to remove the 2.4 G profile from your device and try just the 5G band. All others that are using the 2.4 G will be unaffected.

After I posted, it made sense... 2.4g profile isn't there... only used the 5g

1-2 minutes sounds abnormal to me. My laptop takes only a few seconds to establish a connection. Maybe 10 seconds at most with the RT-N66U (a bit faster on the RT-AC56U).

What are your wireless settings? Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be your computer trying different encryption schemes before finally finding one that works properly.

Any suggestions for how I might troubleshoot this? Can I somehow enable logging by the client to see what is failing?

On the client, everything is set to auto except wireless mode which is 5GHz.

On the AP for 5GHz, Wireless N only, 40MHz, WPA2, AES and everything else auto.

Lowered it to channel 36, still no love... got a disconnect and a reconnect about 20 minutes after changing the channel. Driving me nuts.

Starkiller : You should make a separate thread on your issue you might get more results going that route.

I have the rt-n66u. When I connect my Android Samsung Galaxy S4 phone to the 2.4 band, my connection seems solid. When I connect to the 5g band it connects, however, randomly it will drop signal, no rhyme or reason. It may go hours and be fine or it may drop it few times an hour. When trying to reconnect, it will give me authentication error. Only seems to happen on 5g band. I have both bands set up with default settings and have tried every channel. This has happened with every firmware release. Any ideas? Thanks.

Exactly the same randomly drop problem for me with 2 HTC Phones(OneX and One) and on my LED Samsung UN40F6400 on 5GHz Band with every firmware update. All of them support 5Ghz band.

Solid signal in 2.4Ghz too, never disconnect.

I will try a lower fixed channel because someone suggested in this thread, I will move from fixed 153 to fixed 44.

Currently I am on 4.220 Merlin on my RT-N66U. I use a Intel 6230 WiFi adapter in my laptop. Occasionally the 2.4 GHz connection drops and I have choppy video playback when straming from my server. When I switch to 5 GHz thing are much better eventhough signal strength as reported in Win 7 is lower. Will this new firmware improve the 2.4 GHz "issue"? Is it wise to upgrade?