What's new

New models to be introduced with 3006.102.2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Staff member
Hi,

Two new models will make their official Asuswrt-Merlin debut with 3006.102.2: the RT-BE88U and RT-BE86U.

RT-BE88U.png

RT-BE86U.png

There is no ETA as to the availability, as development isn't complete yet. The RT-BE88U development is currently based off an old 102_33xxx codebase, and the RT-BE86U is based off the 102_36xxx codebase, with a number of changes in this release that haven't been properly integrated into Asuswrt-Merlin yet.

I am hoping to get updated GPLs in the coming weeks, with no firm ETA at this time, hence I have no idea when firmware releases will be available for these, sorry.

BE86U :D

Great, was just looking to buy a RT-BE88U with the back to school cashback so just might have convinced me to do so! Any insight if a 1 GBit lan port from it's switch can be used as WAN in order to keep all 10 and 2.5Gbit interfaces available for LAN? Or is there a technical limitation which would prevent this?

Unless the RT-AXE16000 is going to be supported with the 3006.102 branch any time in the future ;)

Hurray for the BE88U! :)

I do however let the AX88U do all the dirty work on the incoming internet (Skynet and Diversion), retired on the WiFi part, severing the BE88U with a "clean" filterned internet connection that handles all the connections with clients. So a change on BE88U is not really necessary at the moment.
While tempting to use Merlin on BE88U, I do however like reporting bugs to Asus...
Would the feedback directly to Asus be worth staying on stock firmware if I don't really need scripts on BE88U (yet)?

Might be selling my gt axe11000 and switching to a be88u now.

Now GE-BE 98 Pro is quite stable. I am looking forward to version 3006.102.2. I also hope that MLO and IoT can be used in Mesh soon.

Very nice for folks following the upgrade path.

RT-AC86U -> RT-AX86U -> RT-AX86U Pro -> RT-BE86U
RT-AC88U -> RT-AX88U -> RT-AX88U Pro -> RT-BE88U

👍

Very nice for folks following the upgrade path.

RT-AC86U -> RT-AX86U -> RT-AX86U Pro -> RT-BE86U
RT-AC88U -> RT-AX88U -> RT-AX88U Pro -> RT-BE88U

👍
What can I update my GT-AX6000 to then...? 😃

ffs I just bought an ax88u pro 6 weeks (maybe 8) ago asus....silly rabbits
I just bought the ax88u pro this week to replace my ac88u... I usually check merlin site first to see what's supported then the forums to see what's recommended, but I guess I missed this router coming out and being supported in the future. So many router models. Normally I wait until the holidays. I don't even care much for the wifi but all the ports would have been nice. Ah well...

I just bought the ax88u pro this week to replace my ac88u... I usually check merlin site first to see what's supported then the forums to see what's recommended, but I guess I missed this router coming out and being supported in the future. So many router models. Normally I wait until the holidays. I don't even care much for the wifi but all the ports would have been nice. Ah well...
What I learned from the past... you never know until you know 😉
I bought it and hoping it would come, since it often does on fairly common models. But at the same time thought up a setup that would not force me to give up Merlin, even if BE88U never got it.

I'm beginning to understand the logic of just replacing APs a la ubiquiti...and PiHole/OPNSense

I'm beginning to understand the logic of just replacing APs a la ubiquiti...and PiHole/OPNSense
Yea, PFSense/OPNSense with APs is capable of so much more than a typical all in one router. I hear people recommend using different devices that only do 1 thing. Those small x86 boxes that people use allow for way more computing power than even the best routers. I toyed with the idea of doing that setup but I've been using asus routers with merlin since the N66U days so I gave in to familiarity.

ffs I just bought an ax88u pro
I just bought the ax88u pro

Guys, no big real world use difference for RT-AX88U Pro owners. The new models are also dual-band with the same bandwidth limitations on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I would say RT-AX88U Pro is the better price/performance ratio device. Super cheap for AIO Router + Switch + AP. Component SMB system will be probably better and more flexible in a long run, but much higher as initial cost and not as user friendly. Nothing SMB fits in $250.

Guys, no big real world use difference for RT-AX88U Pro owners. The new models are also dual-band with the same bandwidth limitations on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I would say RT-AX88U Pro is the better price/performance ratio device. Super cheap for AIO Router + Switch + AP. Component SMB system will be probably better and more flexible in a long run, but much higher as initial cost and not as user friendly. Nothing SMB fits in $250.
The big difference is new firmware upgrade!

You can test the new firmware with $130 cheaper RT-AX86U Pro. Asuswrt-Merlin changes on top won't fix closed source issues in 3.0.0.6 (Asuswrt 5.0) base. Beta tester subscription anyway.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online