What's new

New models to be introduced with 3006.102.2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also 10g ports

You perhaps know or understand the hardware inside is similar to RPi, not really 10Gbps capable and relies heavily on NAT acceleration. Click one Bandwidth Limiter on a Guest Network and see what happens with the performance. This is what you get for $350 and you have to be careful with what you select in firmware options. Not bad for the price, but still look at it as disposable hardware. Just enjoy it now and don't plan for the future. When this future comes this device may be EoL.

Last edited:
You perhaps know or understand the hardware inside is similar to RPi, not really 10Gbps capable and relies heavily on NAT acceleration. Click one Bandwidth Limiter on a Guest Network and see what happens with the performance. This is what you get for $350 and you have to be careful with what you select in firmware options. Not bad for the price, but still look at it as disposable hardware. Just enjoy it now and don't plan for the future. When this future comes this device may be EoL.
Yeah, one day I'll probably build a pfsense machine and use APs instead. For now the BE88U will last me quite a while for my needs. The 10g ports are capable of 9gbps on stock settings. I currently don't use any features that'll hog resources. I understand this thing can't do everything, if I had 10g fiber direct to SFP+, lots of devices, QOS, etc, it'd probably bog down.

Hopefully the AX86U Pro still will get the support. Just updated from an AX86U.
I hope so too, just updated from AX88U to AX88 Pro, hopefully merlin 3.0.0.6 will come soon, just on stock firmware now because of the vlan/sdn, but i really mis the amtm tool

Tbh, the BE86U is a bit of a let down. Does not support 6Ghz. If you are coming from an AX86, only worth of note is MLO. Overall speed increase will be minimal otherwise. I'd rather wait for the BE86U Pro.
They skimped on the RAM as well, the BE98/96/88U have 2GB, the BE86U only has 1GB. I'm not saying that I need 2GB now, just that it feels like I'm not getting that much for my money with this generation.

Very nice for folks following the upgrade path.

RT-AC86U -> RT-AX86U -> RT-AX86U Pro -> RT-BE86U
RT-AC88U -> RT-AX88U -> RT-AX88U Pro -> RT-BE88U

👍

I did RT-AC68U then RT-AX88U - RT-AX88U Pro not sure I will go RT-BE88U as its $500 CAD now would need to move up to faster than 1.5 Gbps Fiber.

Also kinda funny that all of these Routers are 8 ports except for the 88U Pro.

Also 10g ports and SFP+ means I can later upgrade to 10g fiber and ditch my ONT for a direct fiber to the router.
As someone that is using Fiber.

Is there is list of compatible SFP+ modules that will work ?

This was an issue on the past with previous asus routers only supporting a few.
Why? Pay more for hardware and then pay more monthly for ISP plan just to match the ports speed?

I wouldn't just saying if I had a plan for more speed i'm currently happy on the 88U Pro.

but if I was I would get the hardware first then move up in speed instead of doing it the other way around.

just buy a cheap switch if you need more lan ports cheaper and better odds they will work I bought this a while ago works well and was cheap at the time https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0C1YCZ944/?tag=smallncom-20
Here is the answer:
Might not be an option if built-in VLAN is the feature that is desired.
So if I wanna have vlan support, I have to upgrade to a "pro" version (at least) and buy a managed switch. :(

I see some scripts here and there to enable this feature on current devices. I'll give them a try first.

Thanks everyone for your kind answers and AsusWRT-5.0 (supposedly) compatible devices listing.

Enjoy!

Only routers that support 3.0.0.6.x firmware (WiFi 7 ROG series models and select WiFi 6 Pro models) will support ASUSWRT 5.0 features. Some of the routers that support ASUSWRT 5.0/3.0.0.6.x: GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AX6000, ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000, RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro, ZenWiFi Pro ET12, ZenWIFI Pro XT12.
Where did you got this router's list please? I only find 2 models on AsusWRT page (here: https://routerkb.asuscomm.com/?page_id=14282&lang=en).

As someone that is using Fiber.

Is there is list of compatible SFP+ modules that will work ?

This was an issue on the past with previous asus routers only supporting a few.
I know SFP+ 10gbase-t modules seem to have good compatibility. I'm having trouble finding it now but I read someone(I believe on this forum) is using an RT-BE88U with a fiber xgs-pon SFP+ module, the RT-BE88U appears to have much better compatibility than earlier routers. Not much data yet on that aside from one or two people claiming it's better though.

Yea, PFSense/OPNSense with APs is capable of so much more than a typical all in one router. I hear people recommend using different devices that only do 1 thing. Those small x86 boxes that people use allow for way more computing power than even the best routers. I toyed with the idea of doing that setup but I've been using asus routers with merlin since the N66U days so I gave in to familiarity.

I recently made the switch to OPNsense and I wish I would of done it earlier. If you're considering it, I would definitely try it. My GT-AX11000 Pro seems to be performing better now that it's in AP mode and no longer using resources for the router functions. Overall improvement in network "snappiness" has been noticeable

1726110144118.png

Attachments

• 1726108710274.png
    1726108710274.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 97
Here is the answer:

So if I wanna have vlan support, I have to upgrade to a "pro" version (at least) and buy a managed switch. :(

I see some scripts here and there to enable this feature on current devices. I'll give them a try first.

Thanks everyone for your kind answers and AsusWRT-5.0 (supposedly) compatible devices listing.

Enjoy!
ASUS TUF-AX4200, TUF-AX6000, 1800S V2, RT-AX57M, RT-AX52, AX59u, and any other filogic based routers just requires flashing openwrt to get full vlan support. The TUF-AX6000 goes on sale for $149 or less offering 2.5G WAN, 2.5G lan, ability to be a 2.5G AP, and provides full vlan support.

Almost certain that Asus will be abandoning all of they above models with 3.0.0.4.
Is an AX Pro version with 8 LAN ports exists btw?
ASUS ExpertWiFi EBG19P is a 9-port PoE router running 3.0.0.6 with vlan support. Add on any aimesh router to it.

I recently made the switch to OPNsense and I wish I would of done it earlier. If you're considering it, I would definitely try it. My GT-AX11000 Pro seems to be performing better now that it's in AP mode and no longer using resources for the router functions. Overall improvement in network "snappiness" has been noticeable
I think next time when it's "time to upgrade" I might just do the OPNsense box with the asus router as an AP. I'm not sure for how many more years we'll be able to enjoy the merlin firmware but at least that's an option. Out of curiosity, what box did you use for OPNsense?

I think next time when it's "time to upgrade" I might just do the OPNsense box with the asus router as an AP. I'm not sure for how many more years we'll be able to enjoy the merlin firmware but at least that's an option. Out of curiosity, what box did you use for OPNsense?
Hey, i wanted to share with you what i have done too, actually recently, exactly for opnsense so i can use my BE98 as an AP and have the abilities i need for my local servers, even though i have some very light problem with a spam in the log from acpi, because thanks Asus, thanks FreeBSD, but nothing some tweaks can't fix.

As i wanted a serious brand and passive cooling i've found ASUS NUC 13 Rugged (NUC13BRFN), and use it with a nvme ssd plus 16gb ram (sadly it's a single channel, it's enough though at 4800mts), it has 2 x 2.5gbe I226-LM for network and even has “in-band” ECC support which works with normal ram, on a x7425E CPU at 12w with 3.4ghz boost, roughly equivalent of an N100, it even has a small emmc storage if you want to use it, even sim support, but at half price you can get no name brands though that are very similar, there are many alternatives, i just wanted something very dependable for home and light professional use, and even though i prefer openwrt and i prefer linux and not bsd, i hate messing with updating it on x86 as it is a risky and big task, so i use opnsense which i enjoy it more for it's abilities and less for the os it uses.

Last edited:
ASUS TUF-AX4200, TUF-AX6000, 1800S V2, RT-AX57M, RT-AX52, AX59u, and any other filogic based routers just requires flashing openwrt to get full vlan support. The TUF-AX6000 goes on sale for $149 or less offering 2.5G WAN, 2.5G lan, ability to be a 2.5G AP, and provides full vlan support.
So I got OpenWRT with vlan but I still need a switch behind to have my 8 ports.
Anyway, that could be a cheaper option but I won't have MerlinWRT anymore. And I'm used to it and it's convenient amtm scripts/modules.

And in that case, what about just adding a manageable switch to my router and manage VLan from this point. Is it possible (non-vlan router followed by vlan swtich) ?

Last edited:
This is getting way off topic folks, I recommend you start a separate topic if you want to discuss OpenWRT or pfsense.

I'm happy to see that RMerlin is still able to do his Magic with the newer Asus models being released.

Anyway, that could be a cheaper option but I won't have MerlinWRT anymore. And I'm used to it and it's convenient amtm scripts/modules.

And in that case, what about just adding a manageable switch to my router and manage VLan from this point. Is it possible (non-vlan router followed by vlan swtich) ?
You want convenient and Merlin so that means upgrading to get Merlin 3.0.0.6.

seems like a moot point until there are more machines supporting wifi 7 320ghz..

i finally got a laptop with be200 wifi 7.,. on my gtaxe1600 i can get about 1.5gig throughp0ut with openspeedtest on my nas.. good enough for me know plus like the quad bands. about 1g on 5ghz frequencies rooms away.. 6ghz band seems to really only be good for the same room.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!