What's new

Outdoor Point-to-Point Mesh Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChAoZGuY

New Around Here
Outdoor Point-to-Point Network

I need help with creating an outdoor Access Point/Bridge/Mesh Network. I'm not 100% sure how to refer to it as :confused:. Anyhow, I am working on this outdoor Surveillance Camera project that require Network connectivity to these specific locations. Distance wise...we are looking at 50-75ft MAX distance would be >100. I found this website that has what I am looking for; but I would like to hear from other people about other Companies or Equipment that are capable of doing this.
The website I found is:
http://www.digitalairwireless.com.au/outdoor-wireless-networks/point-to-point-wireless.html
- Laser Point-to-Point Bridge sounds like the best in performance and reliability but I'm sure that will cost an arm and a leg.
Has anyone ever worked on a project like this? I'm sure it's common. I have been examples online of Building to Building so I'm a small distance like mine shouldn't be difficult.
Thanks.

Attachments

• point_to_point_wireless.png
    point_to_point_wireless.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
yes, what you want to do is common.
at 100 ft and less, this is trivial IF...

Your data rate expectations are in the range 802.11n supports. Know that the 802.11 air link connection rate, e.g. 54Mbps for example, is minus the overhead of WiFi and IP. The net yield is typically 60%. The rate is mostly governed by the signal strength you can achieve with a proper design.

The line of sight (or not) conditions between the places where the connections are needed. A common situation is a bridge link to connect a nearby building with users in it. This can be a point to point link. Point A to Point B. Say point A is where the router connected to the ISP/WAN is located. So you connect a bridge to that router. Mount the bridge outside, say on the eaves of the house/building. Outdoor type bridge has a built-in radio and antenna (gain antenna). Aim it at point B. At Point B, there's an identical bridge device. It produces an ethernet cable to go to the LAN in the building. And you can add a WiFi access point at Point B if you want that.

At 100 ft. You might get away with an outdoor device that is an access point, not a bridge. This can service 2+ WiFi "clinet bridges", similar to the above.

Here's an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168115

If you live in a dense urban are, you might get devices like the above but for the 5.8GHz WiFi band.

You don't want a mesh network.

First thing first. You need to have a budget set a side. With out knowing what your budget is, there is little can be said or done to help you. If you only have $50, then go to your local hardware store and build your own antennas.

Here is another company that makes fantastic products, many of their products will fit most peoples budget.

http://www.ubnt.com/airmax

And you want directional antennas, not omni directional antennas.

Stevech and KGB7 thank you for you quick responses and insight. As for budgeting goes....I have 10 locations I need to setup and I have a budget of about $500-750/location. I rather not have to jerry-rig and build my own Point-to-Point devices.
I am looking for something reliable and that can handle high bandwidth; we will be using high-end cameras.
Looking for a Kit to purchase or something along those lines.
Stevech, the EnGenius ENS202 Long-Range 2.4GHz Outdoor Wireless N300 Bridge/AP I believe is exactly what I am looking for.

Anyone know of anything better. I have the money to spend and I rather get something high-end and not worry about having to replace it down the road. During the duration of this project we will be adding camera's to these locations.

I found something like this interesting...
http://www.sub10systems.com/products/liberator-v1000/
Any opinions on something more advanced?

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

I didn't realize you had 10 locations. That changes the topology approach.
How many of the 10 will have wired connectivity to a switch/router?
If there are only 1 or 2, then you need either static routes among dual-radio bridges or you need a mesh. Problem with a mesh is there are no standards and no robust vendors. The best mesh was from Tropos, but with the demise of muni-WiFi nationally in the US, they and the others more or less disapeared.
From your questions, it sounds like you aren't experienced at this.

At that scale (like an R/V park) and cost point, you really should be choosing a proper expert consultant (not just a WiFi hacker), and getting proposed alternatives. Though I wouldn't want out of area work, I've been responsible for large mesh network designs and mid-sized enterprise (University campus, mid-sized corporate buildings, etc.). It's not trivial and if you don't do this with a real pro, and real quality equipment, it will be a write-off.

I didn't realize you had 10 locations. That changes the topology approach.
Well, when I say 10 locations. They are all separate locations with there own Modem/Routers...more like 10 Projects. Sorry for the confusion.
Each 'Project' will consist of 1-3 high-end surveillance cameras at most. All locations will have bandwidth of up to 50Down/10Up

I do need a Point-to-Point setup from building, Point A, to location, Point B.
Doing a bit of research on the term Mesh Network concluded that yes, you are correct...I do not need a Mesh Network; what I am looking for is a high-end Point-to-Point setup.

Any ideas or opinions?

Last edited:
too little info. Need bird's eye view sketch with rough distances. Or annotated Google Earth.

10 locations.
Does that mean there are 10 places and you have one site to serve IP to these 10, wirelessly?

WIth enough info, we can advise if this should be
Star topology (point to multipoint)
Fixed bridge links, inter-site, leading to one WAN connection
etc.

Again, this sounds like a project to be designed by a consultant who will first nail down the requirements, cost objectives, and terrain/obstructions issues.

It's 10 different locations on different Networks. Non-of-them will communicate to one another. (10 different projects) However, same setup.

I found this Network Diagram which I attached. It's basically what I'm looking to do. I would like to see if anyone knows of other manufactures and give me a few so I can compare and make a purchase.

I saw this one:
http://www.adhocelectronics.com/5-8...-Line-of-Sight-Point-to-Point-Ethernet-Bridge

Again I'm looking for top recommended product for around my budget. Let's put it at $700. I wouldn't stress about the 10 Project part of this thread. Let's focus on one Location.

Thanks.

Attachments

• network_diagram.jpg
    network_diagram.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,159
How much would it cost to run a cable 100 ft from point A to point B?? Under ground, not in mid air.

You will probably want to look into ubnt's AirMax Nanostation. At it's most basic, it's like running a wire from the switch to the other location - a PtP link.

They used to have a much more idiot proof version (Air Bullet I believe) which literally only emulates a wired point-to-point link with no other features. It's been phased out in favour of the AirMax series since then.

So something like the:
http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#powerbridge

I'm a bit new with this PtP setup myself but it seems to be pretty straight forward. I am just looking for something advanced and powerful enough to not have to worry about replacing the unit down the road.
AirMAX seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

Any more recommendations or tips you can give me or even point me to the right equipment. There is so many options to choose from.

Thanks

It's 10 different locations on different Networks. Non-of-them will communicate to one another. (10 different projects) However, same setup.

I found this Network Diagram which I attached. It's basically what I'm looking to do. I would like to see if anyone knows of other manufactures and give me a few so I can compare and make a purchase.

I saw this one:
http://www.adhocelectronics.com/5-8...-Line-of-Sight-Point-to-Point-Ethernet-Bridge

Again I'm looking for top recommended product for around my budget. Let's put it at $700. I wouldn't stress about the 10 Project part of this thread. Let's focus on one Location.

Thanks.

Look at equipment from Engenius. Starting at $80 per device you can outdoor APs from them. You need a pair to set up a wireless bridge.

I have used their equipment and it works very well. Depending on your climate don't expect to get more than two - three years of service before having to replace them.

Look at equipment from Engenius. Starting at $80 per device you can outdoor APs from them. You need a pair to set up a wireless bridge.

I have used their equipment and it works very well. Depending on your climate don't expect to get more than two - three years of service before having to replace them.

I appreciate the heads up. For the Price I will be saving more then I predicted. I will look into Engenius also.

Thanks.

stevech, yes, I am aware of that.
So far I feel both Ubiquiti and EnGenius are exactly what I can use to get this working. Does anyone have another PtP device that I can compare and look at? I just want to have my options laid out on the table and make my decision then.

Again, I appreciate everyone recommendations and opinion.

Thanks.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online