What's new

Parental control's DNS Filtering question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tsunami2311

So I know if I set DNS Filtering to OPENDNS HOME, Router use OPENDNS servers even IF connect to DNS severs Automatically is "yes"

But does this setting also update my IP to my OPENDNS account too? if so how seeing I not giving my router the account info, IF not how do i set my router to automatically update my ip to my account when it changes?

Cause if IP is wrong my custom blocked sites wont work.

But does this setting also update my IP to my OPENDNS account too?

It doesn't. If you have an OpenDNS account, you will probably need to use either their client, or whatever other mechanism they allow to "register" your IP (I'm not familiar with what they support).

You can use dns o matic which is a service from opendns to manage multiple ddns and opendns account with dynamic IP address. It is in the wrt list by default.

You can use dns o matic which is a service from opendns to manage multiple ddns and opendns account with dynamic IP address. It is in the wrt list by default.

I am assuming after I log into DNS O MATIC using my OPENDNS account, and set it up for OPENDNS

my router page should look like this?

It doesn't. If you have an OpenDNS account, you will probably need to use either their client, or whatever other mechanism they allow to "register" your IP (I'm not familiar with what they support).

They have IP update program that will update ones account but it does not do it automatic atlest I not been able to get it to do that , have run the program then click update. I rather just have my router send the update ip to opendns as it changes

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    335.9 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Code:
May 17 17:03:58 rc_service: httpd 244:notify_rc restart_ddns
May 17 17:03:59 ddns update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
May 17 17:03:59 ddns update: connected to updates.dnsomatic.com (67.215.92.215) on port 80.
May 17 17:03:59 ddns update: request successful
May 17 17:03:59 ddns update: asusddns_update: 0
May 17 17:03:59 ddns: ddns update ok

I assuming this means it working and IP will be update as needed

You need to log into OpenDNS's site/profile and update your profile there. The site will automatically scrape your public facing IP. So granted your not on VPN when connecting, use that IP to update your OpenDNS profile. Then all queries they receiver against their servers from the IP will be logged against your account.

Keep in mind you public IP may get updated from time to time from your ISP.

I am aware i have to do that either at there site or with the IP updater, I want to know if what I did above will send the new ip to my opendns account, from the router when it changes