What's new

Poll - Best AC66U firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Best firmaware for RT-AC66U router

• Beta Version 3.0.0.4.354

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Version 3.0.0.4.270

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Version 3.0.0.4.266 (pulled from Asus site so you won't see it)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Version 3.0.0.4.260

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Version 3.0.0.4.246

• Version 3.0.0.4.220

• Version 3.0.0.4.140

• Merlin's custom firmware (please specify version in a post)

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • DD-WRT custom firmware (please specify version in a post)

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

njweb

Just curious what AC66U owners think is the best firmware for this router?

My personal criteria would be stability, range and throughput.

Also does anyone know why 266, which some owners say works best overall, was pulled?
Was it that bad for other owners (based on Asus' own poll that has been noted)?

Last edited:
Thanks.
Looks like so far out of 6 responses, we have 3 users who preferred Asus fw 270 and 3 who prefer various Merlin firmwares.

I'll add my vote when I get a chance to hook my AC66U up (have kept it boxed up for 6 months or so while I continued happily using my N66U).

I will test the AC66U in conjunction with with my new USB-AC53 (arriving today) and compare it to 'baseline' measurements that I will be compiling first with my N66U.

Note that the question "Best firmware for RT-AC66U" is a bit vague. Are you specifically looking for feedback on the wireless performance and stability, or the firmware overall? One person's "best" might be different from another person, based on priorities. :)

Note that the question "Best firmware for RT-AC66U" is a bit vague. Are you specifically looking for feedback on the wireless performance and stability, or the firmware overall? One person's "best" might be different from another person, based on priorities. :)

:) Good question.
It will indeed be somewhat subjective, depending on personal evaluations.

I was thinking in terms of wireless performance and stability, given these are both critical differentiating factors to most owners and these are also two aspects that vary the most between different firmware revisions.

Wired performance and throughput typically (albeit not always) does not vary as much between firmware revisions.

Advanced features (above and beyond all the nice advanced stock features are nice), but for the majority of users those will play a lesser role, if any.

That being said, I also welcome feedback in this thread based on other criteria as well, depending on what matters most to that particular user...

My vote went to Beta Version 3.0.0.4.354, but I thought this was the official release. 352 was the beta, no? Either way the last two, 352 & 354 were the best for my network.

Hi all

You might want to check with your distributor too see if loading a third party firmware will void your warranty.

I have just got off the phone to Asus Australia and was told point blank, loading third party firmware will void your warranty.

I suppose this is not an issue if you can re-flash your router prior to sending in for warranty but if you cannot you might me up the creek

Ii can't see the point that Asus support open source f/w if they are saying the warranty is in danger if you use 3 rd part f/w .
As we are some people who have been waiting for f/w from Asus to fix issues for more than 6 months I would turn it around to Asus to expand the warranty time because of thid prolonged time.
As concerned about what f/w I prefer I can just say that I have not seen any YET that I prefer.....

Hi all

You might want to check with your distributor too see if loading a third party firmware will void your warranty.

I have just got off the phone to Asus Australia and was told point blank, loading third party firmware will void your warranty.

I suppose this is not an issue if you can re-flash your router prior to sending in for warranty but if you cannot you might me up the creek

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!