What's new

Preferred method of presenting Home Network for planning help?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coldengrey

Occasional Visitor
Hello-

I'm in desperate need of Home Network Advise... Am trying to determine the best way to present my current equipment, floorplan, and what I hope to achieve - in order to make it easiest (and least confusing - I have a way of doing that, lol) for the community to offer assistance.

I have hand drawn floorplan sketches I scanned that I could post med sized jpg and link to full sized higher resolution files ...

---> Would it be adequate if I just Identify the rooms and equipment (clients) that need to go where and a list of my current networking equipment - along with a description of what I hope to accomplish? Or is there a better and/or preferred method of presenting this info for better/easier assistance?

----> Is there a simple and free program to diagram floorplans and network equipment? It needs to have a relatively quick learning curve or I'll never find time to get it done :)

I'm also trying to determine, with community input, whether I'd be just as well off to spend available budget on additional wireless routers/extenders, ect or spend on harwiring supplies, cables, ect.
----> Would it be appropriate, in this case, to post my thread help request in this general wireless section or in the ethernet/switch section?

Thanks for suggestions and guidance!!

Lol... instead of asking questions on how to ask your question, simply ask your question with as much detail as you know now, while being as concise as possible.

We'll let you know if more is needed. ;)

A simple diagram is always helpful for these types of queries.

Lol... instead of asking questions on how to ask your question, simply ask your question with as much detail as you know now, while being as concise as possible.

We'll let you know if more is needed. ;)

Yeah, Yeah, :p :DLOL!!! I kinda thought about how silly this was after I posted it..
Was kinda feeling out, though, if perhaps there was a diagramming application or maybe a link to an ideal help request thread...

I'm over complicating, I think - that's why I've procrastinated and left 2 tv's in my living room for almost a year now.. I'm not used to and don't like dealing with unknown/unmastered projects - always afraid I'll get half way through or finished and realize I could've done way more efficiently.

I'll finish up adding text graphics or something to my floorplan sketches and see if I can find a network guru mentor or two to assist...

Thanks!:)

Glad I'm giving you a push in the right direction.

Not a guru here, but I'll try to help where I can too.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online