What's new

PSA - Check TrendMicro Signature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My Trend Micro signatures only update when I click the button. Blocking works yet logging does not and I'm aware that this is a common issue. With the comment about Adaptive QoS relationship to the signatures, I'm wondering if running CAKE QOS might somehow prevent the Trend Micro signatures from updating. Any suggestions how to get the signatures to update automatically?

seems to update often 2.410 Updated : 2024/06/23 19:48

I can't help myself...

Screenshot 2024-07-08 150539.jpg

I can confirm that my router does not auto update. In fact I thought it had to be manually updated since I don't remember it has ever auto updated.

1720467350612.png

After manual update (as I always have to do):
1720467380752.png

Running on RT-AX88U 3004.388.7

Mine always updates, I’ve never noticed any problems. That said don’t care about weeks of solid uptime and schedule a reboot daily earlier morning at 5am. So if you have concerns try that.

IMG_0311.jpeg

Notice the update time relates to when the router rebooted. Last checked 5:03am est.

What's wrong with your router rebooting at 5AM?

Absolutely nothing it’s intentional. Some people live or die by maintaining uptime is all I’m saying.

If your system is working properly scheduled reboots do more harm than good. Your devices lose connectivity, you free the channels and someone else's router on Auto may jump in, you lose whatever was cached and ready to use, etc.

If your system is working properly scheduled reboots do more harm than good. Your devices lose connectivity, you free the channels and someone else's router on Auto may jump in, you lose whatever was cached and ready to use, etc.

Really not a concern for me personally. The harm is negligible, it’s 5am I’m not using devices that early and couldn’t be arsed if they lose connection. Wireless congestion isn’t a concern I have 5 acres of land. For others maybe it could impact them, but for me reboots are moot. They rotate my pppoe dynamic ipv4 ip address, and avoid any issues with bugs that might surface over prolonged periods within the router.

Got fed up with broken security and fixed it for $129!
Unifi Cloud Gateway Ultra

I'm running it for a week and so far a delight. It also has most of the things that are done as addons for Merlin including Cake QOS and Secuna, block lists, ...

If you are curious and let me know, I'll report back once a month.

Got fed up with broken security and fixed it for $129!
Unifi Cloud Gateway Ultra

I'm running it for a week and so far a delight. It also has most of the things that are done as addons for Merlin including Cake QOS and Secuna, block lists, ...

If you are curious and let me know, I'll report back once a month.

$169 Canadian from unify. Wow Amazon has a terrible price for the unify gateway. $369 cad.

I might buy one of these myself or opt for a dream machine pro max at some point. Not that I “need” it, but go big or go home, wouldn’t mind it for my homelab. I want to start converting my lan mostly 2.5/5/10G. Completely unnecessary, but I like the future proofing considering how slow things move in innovation for networking. Considering the run of rj45 I would be working with I could probably get away with cat 6 or 7.. cat 8 I’ve had hit or miss dealing with from manufacturers claiming it’s “cat 8” when it’s cat 6 at best.

I’m not sure I’m brave enough to start splicing optical myself. I’d be too worried I might burn out the sfp+ modules not researching it well enough.

What's your current configuration (I'm assuming AiMesh in AP mode) and future plans?

I started with AiMesh in AP mode yet it's rather limited because of the way VLANs are mapped to SSIDs. We get a maximum of 3 SSIDs and that's if we are willing to have one SSID on dual band and the other two each on one of 2.4 or 5 GHz. I tried it and while it works I did not like the effects on clients. I replaced my Asus routers with a pair of U6-IW (Wall mount WiFi 6) APs. Now all my radios are on different channels, and one of my APs are better positioned. This results in a better split of my APs and my clients roam better. Inside our home, coverage is superb and I've not had a single problem. I've got a mix of venders switches, yet for now did all the trunking over the Ubiquity gear.

$169 Canadian from unify. Wow Amazon has a terrible price for the unify gateway. $369 cad.

I might buy one of these myself or opt for a dream machine pro max at some point. Not that I “need” it, but go big or go home, wouldn’t mind it for my homelab. I want to start converting my lan mostly 2.5/5/10G. Completely unnecessary, but I like the future proofing considering how slow things move in innovation for networking. Considering the run of rj45 I would be working with I could probably get away with cat 6 or 7.. cat 8 I’ve had hit or miss dealing with from manufacturers claiming it’s “cat 8” when it’s cat 6 at best.

I’m not sure I’m brave enough to start splicing optical myself. I’d be too worried I might burn out the sfp+ modules not researching it well enough.

Cat 6 is all that's needed for 10Base-GE. You can even use Cat 5E for runs of about 150 feet (I forget the actual spec). The last I checked, anything above Cat 6E is not official, simply cable manufacture marketing.

There is no risk of damaging a transceiver with a bad fiber splice. The only way to damage a transceiver is to send too strong a single by attaching a long range to a short range. If you can terminate RJ45 connectors, you can terminate fiber with hot melt, epoxy or the easiest snap in connectors. If you decide to try splicing fiber, be extra careful with the pieces of strands that you cleave off. Immediately after cleaving pick up those tiny pieces of glass with a piece of tape. Then tape to cardboard and dispose. Those little strands are incredibly difficult to get out of your body and enter like a splinter. I don't know anyone this has happened to. Everyone takes the warning they give about this in slicing class very seriously.

As for pricing and sources, stay away from Amazon. Even if you find good prices, the product descriptions for Ubiquity gear don't seem to match the products. I've purchased my gear from the Ubiquity Sore and also B&H Photo who is very well stocked.

Cat 6 is all that's needed for 10Base-GE. You can even use Cat 5E for runs of about 150 feet (I forget the actual spec). The last I checked, anything above Cat 6E is not official, simply cable manufacture marketing.

There is no risk of damaging a transceiver with a bad fiber splice. The only way to damage a transceiver is to send too strong a single by attaching a long range to a short range. If you can terminate RJ45 connectors, you can terminate fiber with hot melt, epoxy or the easiest snap in connectors. If you decide to try splicing fiber, be extra careful with the pieces of strands that you cleave off. Immediately after cleaving pick up those tiny pieces of glass with a piece of tape. Then tape to cardboard and dispose. Those little strands are incredibly difficult to get out of your body and enter like a splinter. I don't know anyone this has happened to. Everyone takes the warning they give about this in slicing class very seriously.

As for pricing and sources, stay away from Amazon. Even if you find good prices, the product descriptions for Ubiquity gear don't seem to match the products. I've purchased my gear from the Ubiquity Sore and also B&H Photo who is very well stocked.

Currently I just run 10g from switch to switch using sfp+ rj45 module rated up to 30m I believe. But for longer runs they have stronger modules. But yeah I’d probably practice first before committing to pulling any long run of optical. Ideally I would want to run it through pvc conduits, but my house was not built for any wiring besides power, end even then it was done cheaply by the builder so running just Ethernet has only been done on the main floor because the basement is unfinished.

Currently I just run 10g from switch to switch using sfp+ rj45 module rated up to 30m I believe. But for longer runs they have stronger modules. But yeah I’d probably practice first before committing to pulling any long run of optical. Ideally I would want to run it through pvc conduits, but my house was not built for any wiring besides power, end even then it was done cheaply by the builder so running just Ethernet has only been done on the main floor because the basement is unfinished.

You could pull pre-terminated fiber as long as you have the space for the connector to go through. Pulling cable through existing walls can be an adventure. Surface mount is also an option though the raceways can be unsightly.

mine updated no problem 2.412 2024 07/08

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!