What's new

QNAP EOL date period when buying NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unisoft

Regular Contributor
EOL dates for firmware.
-----------------------

Anyone know if the EOL is calculated from start of sale for a new model, or when they stop selling it?
Can't find this on QNAP, just vague statements.

Don't want to spend on a new model to find its stops sale 6 months after and then firmware updates stop 1-2 years after!
Want to buy in a full lifecycle of support for updates.

QNAP used to have a webpage listing exact EOL dates for their models. Let me see if that page still exists.

EDIT: looks like they no longer do, they just provide a current status page now.

Don't want to spend on a new model to find its stops sale 6 months after and then firmware updates stop 1-2 years after!
Want to buy in a full lifecycle of support for updates.

FWIW - TS453Pro, for example, has been supported by QNAP for at least 10 years now - still active for SW support, but no longer available for sale...

I'm impressed by how long they've supported that box...

QNAP tends to indeed have very long support cycles for security updates. With my clients, I tend to go for 7-9 years of life before pushing them into upgrading to a newer model.

If hardware is a potential issue, they do sell extended warranties, tho it's often not worth it, since you can typically easily buy a new model, and have it up and running within 24 hours just by moving the drives from the defective unit to the new one. I had to do it once, a TS-253 died to the infamous Celeron clock issue. Replacement ordered from a local retailer arrived about 24 hours later, and once on site it took me 30 minutes to have the new device up and running.