What's new

QNAP vs Synology a.k.a. Hardware vs Software

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey Guys,

I have been working a lot with both the QNAP and Synology devices, and thought I would chime in with some thoughts, differences, and also the link aggregation aspect of these boxes.

Here are the units I've been working with:
QNAP TS-459 Pro Turbo NAS
Synology DS1511+
Synology DS1812+

Firstly, let's talk about hardware - I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, so I can't really say if the layout / internal design is superior in either one of the brands. What I *can* say is that in terms of materials used, QNAP wins hands down.

The QNAP unit I work with uses much more, sturdier metal in its construction. This can be seen right down to the HDD sleds, in which QNAP continues to use metal, where as Synology opted for flimsier, flexible plastic HDD sleds. This is not a huge deal, if you're not going to be constantly swapping hard drives all the time, which is worth considering. Besides the practical aspect, I must admit I really like the look of the Synology devices. I know it shouldn't have too much impact on your final decision.

When it comes to software, the scale slides favourably toward the Synology camp. From a general "get the job done" philosophy, both have a lot in common. In fact, if someone told me that one company was a spin-off of the other company, I would probably believe them. Certain application are called the same thing, backups are done using similar technologies. Both get the job done. However, if they were sisters, QNAP would be the plain, practical sister who always did the right thing. Synology is smokin' hot one. The interface is awesome. Everything is a few clicks away, and just looks great. Everything gets done in a few clicks, menus animate, and all at a good clip too. With all that said, just like the hardware, neither can be faulted or described negatively.

The other topic that came up here was link aggregation. I am a power user, and I know for general purposes, a single 1000baseT connection is fine. However, in my situation, I do find use for a link aggregated connection. I live in a house with 5 users who ingest media at a significant rate. I host a PLEX media server connected to my NAS at home. My friends also stream media from me from their homes. The NAS contains 720p, 1080p, and Bluray videos. It's quite often that there may be 4, 5 or even more users streaming media. This on top of all the graphic and video work I do myself. What link aggregation lets me do is keep an expected level of response and performance for my share media across the board.

The one thing to note, for those thinking about trying link aggregation: If you have 1 workstation with a team of 2 x 1Gb NICs connected to a NAS with link aggregation, it WILL NOT increase your top speed. You will not be able to transfer at 2Gbps. What it will do is allow more transfers from different devices at a higher level of performance. Think 4-lane highway vs. 2 lane highway. More lanes, same top speed.

Cheers,

F.

why dual NIC for mere mortals...

what's the compelling advantage of dual NICs for mere mortals?

Two main reasons:
1) resilience, so the NAS can be connected to two different switches (for mere mortals???)
2) VLANs, so you can run QNAP NAS on your LAN and at the same time the QNAP web server, for instance, on the DMZ (as I would like to do).

On home/SOHO models, the ones for mere mortals like me, the third reason exposed around about throughput is out of scope due to hardware limitations; load balancing goes on the same "out of the scope" track.

Two main reasons:
1) resilience, so the NAS can be connected to two different switches (for mere mortals???)
2) VLANs, so you can run QNAP NAS on your LAN and at the same time the QNAP web server, for instance, on the DMZ (as I would like to do).

On home/SOHO models, the ones for mere mortals like me, the third reason exposed around about throughput is out of scope due to hardware limitations; load balancing goes on the same "out of the scope" track.

Sounds like a "5-sigma" need!

I had a similar deciosn to make regarding which NAS to get, a two bay QNAP or the Synology DS211j.

In the end I purchased the Synology. Everything is really good and polished except the backup to USB. Which is a total faliure.

There's hope. My DS212 works with USB3 just fine. USB3 drive/enclosure plugged in all the time. Drive spins down with inactivity. I used to use NTFS to assure PC readability. Now I use ext4, native format, as it's much faster. And PC readability comes from a reliable freeware app for Win7 that reads ext4- needed only in a crisis.

I found some USB3 enclosures' electronics don't work properly with the NAS due to drive spin-down, etc. But they do work with Windows. So there are issues in the Linux drivers used by NAS vendors, and are within the Linux releases. But several USB3 enclosures I have do work fine.

I use version DSM 4.2.

Last edited: