What's new

Question: About AX4200 regarding SSH support and Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wrongdevice

Occasional Visitor
Hi all! 👋

First of all. I'm new here. I hope this forum will make me a little wiser. Second, I made a mistake buying the AX4200 router. Asuswrt-Merlin and it's forks do not support this device. OpenWRT does, but I prefer to use stock (or similar) firmware.
On the Asuswrt-Merlin website I read that some of their features were eventually implemented by Asus in their stock firmware under which SSH support. Does this mean that I can install Entware using SSH with the stock firmware?

On the Asuswrt-Merlin website I read that some of their features were eventually implemented by Asus in their stock firmware under which SSH support. Does this mean that I can install Entware using SSH with the stock firmware?
No. Entware itself requires firmware modifications to work properly.

This router may have longer OpenWrt than Asuswrt support, actually. Your "mistake" may pay off in few years.
True, but I bought the device mainly for Asuswrt-Merlin to install custom packages and it's features like AiMesh, AiProtection and some other core features. The device was released in 2023, so I don't think it's EoL anytime soon.

If your within you return warranty or have the desire to sell it online then I would swap it for a asuswrt-Merlin or gnuton supported router if Merlin support is what you want.

OpenWRT does, but I prefer to use stock (or similar) firmware.

OpenWRT does, and you have the chocolate fountain of the repos for pretty much every feature in Entware and AsusWRT-RMerlin in a more sustainable package...

Thanks for your answer. Is this only for Entware or can I still install some packages on stock firmware?
Entware is the package repository.

You had to check supported devices first.

You are right. The thing was, I had the choice of the same device, but with a different speed. The one with lower speed is supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. The other one is not. I thought the only difference was the speed, so they would be supported, but it turns out to be the modern chipset that a lot of router manufacturers use for the production of their newer routers which is not supported by Asuswrt-Merlin.

I know, but can I still install additional software on the stock firmware through SSH without Entware?
What software - be specific? If you want to install Entware packages you need to have the Entware package manager installed.

No. AiProtection and AiMesh are proprietary software exclusive to Asus routers.
So I bought a powerful device for nothing. I think I'll return it and just get a lower version so I can install Asuswrt-Merlin. I really like the fact with Asuswrt-Merlin that most of the features are still supported and that they have just added minor features that make your life much easier. If there is a way to install static binaries on the stock firmware without installing Entware, I will keep it.

Gotcha. Let's say static binaries?
It's possible. The problem would be if you wanted these binaries to run automatically run when the router boots up as apposed to you manually starting them. There is no officially supported way to do that in stock firmware.

script_usbmount support has been removed by Asus to stop this. You might be able to use a workaround described here, but I wouldn't count on it still working in the long term.
Thanks for your replies. Does Asuswrt-Merlin have long support for existing older devices? If it's just a few years then I might be better off with OpenWRT and losing all the nice AiProtection, AiMesh features..