What's new

[Question] AC66U: Asus Stock Firmware | VPN Access, no internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iceblister

New Around Here
Guys,

I am finishing the setup of my AC66U; and getting the VPN to work. Using the basic settings it connects and gives me full access to the network. This is *not* however what I want.

I am looking for is connectivity to the internal LAN, with no outside access, I want to use my current network connection for everything but the shares I need.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this?

Kind Regards,
Ice

I'm far from the expert that some of the people in this forum are, but since no one else has answered yet:

It's a setting on the VPN properties on your client machine. On a Windows machine, for example, you have to uncheck "Use default gateway on remote network."

If you can't find the setting, post which OS your client is using and I or someone else here can point you to the setting.

Okay, I found the setting. Thank you for the information. Now - I cannot access any devices on the main network. Likely due to some nat'ing.

My LAN is on 192.168.1.x
The VPN was default to 192.168.10.x

What do I do to allow access?

Last edited:
Got It...

Right after I wrote my last post I figured it was natting and routes causing the problem.

I removed some of the DHCP scope to 192.168.1.2-245
And gave the VPN 245-254 for the 10 addresses.

I am sure there is a way to create routes, but I'll do that later.

Thank you for the help!

You want the VPN IP addresses to be in the same subnet as your LAN (192.168.1.x).

First, free up a block of at least ten IP addresses in the DHCP range.

Then set the VPN IP range to ten addresses in the freed up block (i.e., outside the DHCP range).

For example, I have my DHCP range set to 192.168.1.101 through 192.168.1.150, and then I have the VPN IP range set to 192.168.1.201 through 192.168.1.210.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!