What's new

Question/s about possibly upgrading Router. Not sure what to upgrade to, or if to upgrade at all right now.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ice9

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

So I am currently using an my very old RT-AC68U as I went back to it because my RT-AC86U failed well over a year ago.

The main reason I was using the RT-AC86U was OpenVPN client performance, as I had my VPN service running through the Router when I wanted to access geo-restricted streaming content on some of my devices that don't support the installation of a VPN client directly on them.
The OpenVPN performance is abysmal on the AC68U so I don't currently run in through the Router.

Anyway, I've been looking at AX Routers the past few days and have no idea what I should be looking at. I've looked at the RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX86U Pro, but these are out of my price range. I read that the RT-AX88U Pro is good too, but it doesn't look like you can buy that in Australia (I can only find the older RT-AX88U for sale here).

I then looked at mid-range models such as the RT-AX68U and RT-AX58U (not sure if these would have good enough performance via OpenVPN?)? Are any of these mid-range models worth looking at?

I've read about features such as VPN Fusion (not sure if the mid-range models support this, and are any of the mid-range models worth looking at?)

I think my paid for VPN service does support Wireguard through the Router, so maybe that would be a better option? Not sure what speeds these newer AX model support via OpenVPN and Wireguard. I'd only need between 100-200Mbps I'd say.

I was also wanted to ask, are the AC models going to be supported much longer?

Also, I read about AsusWRT 5.0. Which models would be supporting this and is it going to be a worthwhile upgrade, as in, should I be looking at routers that support it?

RT-AX68U is End-of-Life model, RT-AX58U has weak CPU for VPN (may do ~100Mbps).

RT-AX86U Pro is your starting point for Asuswrt 5.0 firmware support and good ARMv8 CPU.

All AC-class Asus models are End-of-Life now, no more firmware support and development is expected.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. So support has already ended for the AC models? There won't be anymore firmware updates going forward? Does that mean also that Merlin will drop those models too?

I assume the older AX models aren't getting AsusWRT 5.0 such as the RT-AX88U and AX86U non-pro versions, right?

I guess I will skip the mid-range models if the CPU is too weak. For VPN, is the CPU demand also high for Wireguard compared to OpenVPN? For example, could the RT-AX58U do faster speeds via Wireguard, or does it not even support Wireguard. I have been looking at Asus' website, but not sure if some models got Wireguard and VPN fusion support via firmware updates after they were released?

Then again, I guess the RT-AX58U or other mid/low range models aren't going to get 5.0 support, so no point in wasting money on those. Is there a list of models somewhere that are likely to support AsusWRT 5.0 sometime soon, or have most of the ones that are going to support it already seen firmware releases for it?

Would there be anything similar price range to the RT-AX86U Pro in 6E or 7, or are all those going to be priced a lot higher? I really don't need those wireless speeds/tech, though, as a wifi 6 router would be more than enough for me, but I mainly just wanted to get a decent overall router.
I was keen/leaning towards the AX86U Pro, but I stumbled across this post a few minutes ago https://www.snbforums.com/threads/should-i-upgrade-to-rt-ax88u-pro.89917/post-905666 mentioning the RT-AX86U Pro isn't that good/crippled compared to the RT-AX88U Pro (not sure what @L&LD means by this). I can't buy the AX88U Pro here (I tried to send Asus an email through their contact us section of their website to ask about it, but not sure if they'll reply), so I am not sure if there is something better than the AX86U Pro that doesn't cost too much more.

Last edited:
So support has already ended for the AC models?

Yes.

Does that mean also that Merlin will drop those models too?

Yes.

I assume the older AX models aren't getting AsusWRT 5.0 such as the RT-AX88U and AX86U non-pro versions, right?

Correct, no Asuswrt 5.0 firmware for older AX models.

Would there be anything similar price range to the RT-AX86U Pro in 6E or 7, or are all those going to be priced higher?

Most likely will be priced higher.

mentioning the RT-AX86U Pro isn't that good/crippled

It's one of the popular models around. If you don't need 2x 2.5GbE ports - the cheapest Asuswrt 5.0 option.

Last edited:
The AX86U Pro does go on sale often. Not sure about the AU area but you might check Amazon for a refurbished router to save a bit.

Yes, I am not in a hurry. Since I've now decided to try and get an AX86U Pro minimum and not bother looking at any of the lower/mid-range models, and only Routers that support AsusWRT 5.0 (I see in your signature the AX86U Pro already has the 5.0 update on current firmwares?). I'm going to have to save up for a couple of months, but that is no problem, I can wait. If I see anything come up on sale before then, I will try and buy it sooner. As for Amazon, I've never really come across a refurbished versions/routers in AU. Do they normally have refurbished ones for sale on the US Amazon?

I also came across the GT-AX6000 (this model is sold in AU), and is this the same/similar to the RT-AX88U Pro? The specs look very similar/the same despite the GT-AX6000 being released earlier than the AX88U Pro? On the AU Asus website, the GT-AX6000 doesn't list VPN Fusion or Wireguard Client, though, but I am thinking maybe it does now support those via a firmware update after release, and I am guessing Asus hasn't updated the specs on the product page? Anyone have the GT-AX6000 that can confirm if it has VPN Fusion and Wireguard Client support? It also is listed under Asus Merlin firmware upgradeable too, which is another bonus. The RT-AX86U Pro is cheaper, but seems like the GT-AX6000 is also worth putting on my list if ever see it on sale while waiting to buy the AX86U Pro.

I'm also assuming buying a different region version won't work as well in AU? I am guessing I should stick with AU versions of whatever I'm looking to buy?

Just continue using your existing RT-AC68U then. Asuswrt may have dropped the support, but FreshTomato firmware is available for it.

This firmware will keep it going for quite some time, perhaps years. It has very nice modern GUI with many advanced features included.
Well I still have to get something better at some point soon, as OpenVPN performance will never get better on the RT-AC68U. If I still had the RT-AC86U, I'd consider still using that for quite a while longer.

I also have no clue how to use this FreshTomato (not sure if there is a lot to learn). Is it easy to install/setup? Can you go back to original firmware from it? I'll take a look at it when I have some time.

Edit : Thanks for the help/advice btw. I really appreciate it. Do you use any of these Routers yourself? I'm guessing you don't ;).

Also, anyone know what the drawbacks are buying a router from a different region? I found the GT-AX6000 at about 40% less cost ($250 AUD less than AU version) if buying from DE Amazon shipped item. Not sure if I can just buy an adapter and use that, and/or if I can still install Asus firmware from AU website on it? I'm assuming the wifi is going to be different, though, on German version compared to AU due to regulations?

Last edited:
RT-AC68U OpenVPN speed is enough for streaming. Common compressed HD video stream is under 20Mbps. Your choice.

I understand and that is what I thought too, but doesn't seem so when I last tried streaming certain things, the quality wasn't consistently HD like when I was streaming similar stuff with the RT-AC86U, so I gave up doing so on some devices (I just started using the devices that can support installing a VPN client). I haven't tried for a while, though. I'll try again today later in the day.

Also, anyone know what the drawbacks are buying a router from a different region? I found the GT-AX6000 at about 40% less cost ($250 AUD less than AU version) if buying from DE Amazon shipped item. Not sure if I can just buy an adapter and use that, and/or if I can still install Asus firmware from AU website on it? I'm assuming the wifi is going to be different, though, on German version compared to AU due to regulations?
Don't. The Wi-Fi channels/power will be different and some of your clients may have compatibility issues because of it. Also, if you have problems with it in the future Asus will not accept a warranty claim for it.

the quality wasn't consistently HD

You made it sound like the money stream is not consistently HD either. Trying to save you money. RT-AC68U may be old tech, but not dead yet. I would also look at second hand market. Older model RT-AX86U is still very capable and supported device with good reliability history. Around here it can be found used as low as CAD150 - around the price of a new RT-AX58U. No Asuswrt 5.0, but may be good option if VPN speed is really important.

Don't. The Wi-Fi channels/power will be different and some of your clients may have compatibility issues because of it. Also, if you have problems with it in the future Asus will not accept a warranty claim for it.

Alright, darn, didn't know that. That sort of screws that idea. How would firmware updates work in that scenario?

You made it sound like the money stream is not consistently HD either. Trying to save you money. RT-AC68U may be old tech, but not dead yet. I would also look at second hand market. Older model RT-AX86U is still very capable and supported device with good reliability history. Around here it can be found used as low as CAD150 - around the price of a new RT-AX58U. No Asuswrt 5.0, but may be good option if VPN speed is really important.
Do you mean I was saying the streaming service is not consistently HD? When using a VPN client software (for example VPNs app for my Android TV media player), the streams are HD quality, and from what I remember, when the RT-AC86U was still working, they were also HD quality on my set top box which I couldn't install VPN software on directly. With the AC68U, when I did speedtests, I was only getting between 5-20Mbps with OpenVPN. Not sure if that is the Router itself or my VPN's OpenVPN performance?

Edit : Good idea about looking at second hand ones. I'll try and have a look tonight to see what is available, and what kind of pricing they're going for. I am guessing, though, that I won't find any RT-AX86s for $165 AUD (which is about $150 CAD [Our dollar is similar to your CAD]). If I could find one for that price, I'd be more than happy with that for now. What about an RT-AX88U, would that be worth looking at too if I can find for a good price?

Last edited:
Do you mean I was saying the streaming service is not consistently HD?

No, I mean you don't need to stress your finances. We all know what is better, but good enough may be all you need. I see RT-AX58U V2 is ~AUD150 new on Amazon AU. It runs Asuswrt 4.0 firmware with VPN Fusion available. It will be faster than RT-AC68U on VPN and you can do simple selective routing to specific devices. It also has GNUton's official Asuswrt-Merlin fork available in case you need 3rd party firmware with extra features.

I'm going to have to save up for a couple of months
I've looked at the RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX86U Pro, but these are out of my price range.

Last edited:
No, I mean you don't need to stress your finances. We all know what is better, but good enough may be all you need. I see RT-AX58U V2 is ~AUD150 new on Amazon AU. It runs Asuswrt 4.0 firmware with VPN Fusion available. It will be faster than RT-AC68U on VPN and you can do simple selective routing to specific devices. It also has GNUton's official Asuswrt-Merlin fork available in case you need 3rd party firmware with extra features.

Ahh right, got it. I found the AX58U V2 on Amazon AU, but I think you've found the German model for that price (I don't think we even have the V2 in AU). The one I clicked on ships from Amazon Germany. I think the AU version of the AX58U is around $250 on special/discount, and I don't think that is worth it, as I'd rather buy the German GT-AX6000 for only $90 more if I were to spend $250. I also just contacted a couple of people on an AU forum that have apparently ordered the German GT-AX6000 from Amazon the past couple of months to ask how it's working for them. I do like your idea of the AX58U for $150 if I could get the AU version for that price, but unfortunately, can't get that pricing.

Any idea if the official firmware for each model is region specific? Like if I bought a German version of whatever, can I still use the firmware for the official Asus AU website? Not sure if I will go this route, but curious to hear back from those two people that bought the German version and how it's working for them.

I did also find an RT-AX88U non Pro on eBay last night for $240 AUD used with "make an offer" option, and I was thinking of making an offer as I'd much rather the RT-AX88U for the same price over an AX58U, but when I went to check back a bit earlier today, it had already sold at that price. The drawback of the RT-AX88U or RT-AX86U non Pro is not knowing if they'll become obsolete if they're not getting the 5.0 updates. If you guys had to guess, do you think the non Pros are not going to get it and only a few of the high end/Pro models that already have it are the only ones that are going to get it?

Another option I thought about was trying to find a second hand RT-AC86U for under $100 to use OpenVPN only with it, but I assume this doesn't have VPN director/fusion even with Merlin firmware? The other issue is, it could fail at any time, so also is another strike against it.

Edit : I keep forgetting to ask, how are other brand Routers such as Netgear, TP-Link etc. compared to Asus (I've only ever used Asus). Do their firmwares have good support and features too? I sort of went with Asus as I read years ago they have the most user friendly firmware with good features and product support for quite a while after a product is released. Not sure if this has changed at all recently with other brands being good too?

Edit 2 : Another thing I keep forgetting to ask until after posting, if a version isn't listed on the Merlin list, you can't use Merlin firmware, right? For example, I don't see any of the TUF versions listed, so that does mean you can't use any of those models with Merlin firmware?

Last edited:
Any idea if the official firmware for each model is region specific? Like if I bought a German version of whatever, can I still use the firmware for the official Asus AU website? Not sure if I will go this route, but curious to hear back from those two people that bought the German version and how it's working for them.
The firmware is not region specific but the hardware is. Compared to a dedicated AU version it will operate at lower power output and not have access to channels 149 to 165. From what I've seen posted on these forums quite a lot of AU Asus owners have routers imported from China. Those are "world" versions that have the region selectable in software. YMMV

Edit 2 : Another thing I keep forgetting to ask until after posting, if a version isn't listed on the Merlin list, you can't use Merlin firmware, right? For example, I don't see any of the TUF versions listed, so that does mean you can't use any of those models with Merlin firmware?
Correct.

The firmware is not region specific but the hardware is. Compared to a dedicated AU version it will operate at lower power output and not have access to channels 149 to 165. From what I've seen posted on these forums quite a lot of AU Asus owners have routers imported from China. Those are "world" versions that have the region selectable in software. YMMV
Alright, so definitely not the best idea then. Interesting about those Chinese versions if you've seen people from AU here that have them and are able to select a different region. I wonder if I can find the Chinese versions at a cheaper price. I guess I could look for some of those, but it depends on price, as if it's similar, I'd always pay the bit extra for the AU version.

The Germany region versions are super tempting due to the superior pricing compared to the AU version. Not sure why we have to pay so much here. Not sure if I am allowed to post links here, but here is the difference :

Amazon AU (shipped from Germany):
https://www.amazon.com.au/ASUS-Repl...-Acceleration/dp/B09MG9MDB5/ref=sr_1_8?sr=8-8 Darn, this was $341 AUD yesterday. It's gone even cheaper today at $327.

AU version prices are much more:

Is there any hint on whether or not the non Pro versions will support 5.0 in the future via firmware update from Asus, or is it likely only the models that have it now to be the only ones having it going forward, thus making all the other AX models obsolete. I think my best bet price wise for an AU version is the RT-AX86U or AC88U second hand, but don't really want to waste that money if these will become obsolete.

And am I understanding correctly from Merlin's post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/current-plans-regarding-separate-version-branches.89312/ if he's not sure he'll keep making his firmware for the 5.0 Routers when all the others AX Routers become obsolete, or am I misunderstanding what he is saying? In other words, if he stops making/releasing his firmware, we're going to have to rely on Asus official firmware, so if that is the case, I should be looking at 5.0 supported models going forward?

Last edited:
Interesting about those Chinese versions if you've seen people from AU here that have them and are able to select a different region. I wonder if I can find the Chinese versions at a cheaper price. I guess I could look for some of those, but it depends on price, as if it's similar, I'd always pay the bit extra for the AU version.
My understanding is that these people weren't aware they were buying a "Chinese" version as they had purchased it from a reputable local (AU) supplier. It was only when they posted questions on these forums that it became apparent.

The drawback of the RT-AX88U or RT-AX86U non Pro is not knowing if they'll become obsolete if they're not getting the 5.0 updates. If you guys had to guess, do you think the non Pros are not going to get it and only a few of the high end/Pro models that already have it are the only ones that are going to get it?
Edit : I keep forgetting to ask, how are other brand Routers such as Netgear, TP-Link etc. compared to Asus (I've only ever used Asus). Do their firmwares have good support and features too? I sort of went with Asus as I read years ago they have the most user friendly firmware with good features and product support for quite a while after a product is released. Not sure if this has changed at all recently with other brands being good too?

Asus lists the AX88U or RT-AX86U as 4 years (until 31th December 2026).

Asus TUF-AX4200 or TUF-AX6000 flashed with openwrt. There are no better consumer routers out there than those two models for the price. Every single feature that people are waiting for in 5.0 is available in openwrt and even beyond that.

Merlin = 1) broadcom only and not all models have that SoC. 2) not all broadcom models get supported.