What's new

R7000 password problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

meanbean81

New Around Here
Hello all I hope I am in the correct subforum. I am running out of ideas on how to reset my login info for my router. I started having problems with my R7000 and in desperation I installed DDWRT firmware. All went well except my wireless speeds dropped by about 75%. I figured I'm going to try Tomato firmware. I read about how to telnet before the flash but I also read I could simply do a hard reset and use default admin/admin info. Since I was going to do a reset anyway I decided not to worry about keeping my old login. Maybe I misunderstood? Was I supposed to flash the Tomato firmware with the initial firmware or was I supposed to go back to stock and then start with the initial firmware?

Flashed initial firmware and the router rebooted. Old wireless settings were kept and oddly enough my wireless speed improved a lot. Tried to do a hard rest and noticed the recessed reset button doesn't do anything. I tried many combinations of "root" and "admin" etc but nothing worked. After researching more online I tried the 30/30/30 reset. The only time the reset button works is if I push and hold and powercycle the router, the router goes through it reset procedure but no settings get changed. I can still use my router and the connection is OK but I am unable to log in and change any settings and I am also unable to flash the actual Tomato firmware

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue? Is it time to buy another router? Thanks for your help.

You can flash directly from dd-wrt to tomato provided that telnet into your router while still on dd-wrt and get the encrypted form of your admin password there just before flashing:

nvram get http_passwd

This encrypted password will be your admin/root password once you get to tomato from dd-wrt.

If you forget to do that, this forum has a few postings discussing how to recover from that (if you haven't already):

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tomato-for-arm-routers.69719/

This discussion starts here:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tomato-for-arm-routers.69719/page-3#post-245109

and continues down the page *smile*.

Good luck.

Thanks you all for your replies. I already tried many password combinations but I guess I had no idea the old password is hashed. I guess I did not expect the reset not to work. Not really sure what am I supposed to do with the WiFi button? I tried holding it and telnet still did not work.

I don't have the needed cable to restore it and not sure where I can get one.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!