What's new

RDP into home network and using both wifi / ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gatorback

Regular Contributor
I have a box on my home LAN that is wired into my router. I have been able to remotely RDP into the box through the wired connection. I would like to be able to add a wifi adapter that could be used to connect into my neighbor's LAN, because I am frequently asked to troubleshoot. Has anyone had success RDP via Ethernet and sending keyboard commands, in order to direct tests through the wifi adapter?

RDP is a protocol that works over layer 2 or 3 while wifi like any wired network is both layer 1 (physical link) and layer 2 (mac addresses and basic logic such as data).

If you are using serial over ethernet you can also do it over wifi if there is a wifi router on the other side because on boot the bios doesnt register wifi as a NIC since it has SSIDs and configs unlike an ethernet NIC that doesnt require any configuration. The serial over ethernet (or other mediums) work on wifi too if the software and drivers are used from the computer and not the hardware NIC.

I use splashtop (free for non-commerical use). It is better than Teamviewer. RDP serving doesn't work with Windows OSes less than Pro/Enterprise.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!