What's new

Redoing home network from 192 to 10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
Want to change my internal IPS from 192 to 10, but a question. I keep reading about /24 mask. Can someone explain what this is?

Want to change my internal IPS from 192 to 10, but a question. I keep reading about /24 mask. Can someone explain what this is?
network class.
so, 192.168.1.x is 3 octets (bytes) of significant/fixed numbers. That's 24 bits. So the mask is 255.255.255.0 where the 0 means the bits are not fixed. Some enterprise networks use other than a multiple of 8 bits.

Changing to net 10 might be more trouble that it's worth.

Range of class A,B,C network numbers as follows. There are also standards on which can be used in public networks and which are private, non-routable. Such as 192.168.x.x cannot be used on a public network - only the LAN side, and the router does NAT.

Address Class First Network ID Last Network ID
Class A 1.0.0.0 126.0.0.0
Class B 128.0.0.0 191.255.0.0
Class C 192.0.0.0 223.255.255.0

you can actually use any ip address you like. The only problem may be when it comes to routing since if you define your lan as 0.0.0.0/0 than you will not be able to browse the internet. So if you use a subnet that is part of the public internet than you will not be able to browse that part of the internet since it will be your LAN. This is why some ip addresses were put aside for LAN.

Other than that you can use any ip you like with almost any subnet. So you can use a 10. ip with a 24 subnet mask.

Some routers' firmware may not work with public IP addresses on the LAN side of the NAT. Depends on how strictly they take the standards.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!