What's new

amtm Reinstalling Addons after a Router Hard Reset?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jksmurf

Very Senior Member
I am planning a router hard reset and was just browsing the BACKUPMON Addon and had a thought (yeah it hurt) about the retention of existing Addons.

I guess the question is if the USB-SSD is not wiped, what happens when you first run amtm on the Router after a hard-reset, can it recognize all the Addons you put on the USB-SSD and restore them to the amtm menu? Presumably not as it has no way of knowing as jffs/scripts is not populated in the router at this point?

So assuming no, what about if you reinstall the Addons, will they all recognize the parts of the previous install that are on the SSD and retain those?

I know that Diversion recognizes a previous install (of Diversion) and while you have to manually run the setup again, setting it up again is very quick as it retains all the old settings, but I wasn’t sure if the same behaviour is seen with other Addons?

I guess I’m just looking at options between (a) a Manual Addon Reinstall vs (b) BACKUPMON.

Last edited:
The question is why are you going to do a factory reset? Something not working right? If things are wonky, why would you want to restore something that was causing the router to act up?

This does not answer your question but is intended to have you stop and think about what you are planning to do.

If things are working OK, leave it be..

If things are not OK, wipe everything and start over...

I guess I’m just looking at options between (a) a Manual Addon Reinstall vs (b) BACKUPMON.
BACKUPMON would be a good option to quickly restore your router to a good-known config if you had a serious disaster happen... like if your router is normally running perfectly fine, but you made a config change that totally borked it up... or for some reason your SSD died... or you upgraded entware, and it screwed everything up. Then, yes... BACKUPMON can save the day. But like @bbunge said, if there's nothing wrong... don't mess with it. If you do have stuff that's already going wrong now... then I would NOT be making any backups... and just proceed with a clean wipe/manual reinstall. Definitely format that SSD. You don't want anything left on there. Then start taking backups from that point forward.

The question is why are you going to do a factory reset?
Thanks for your reply and all good questions!

Essentially because I’m at the end of my tether wrt a mesh node dropping off the mesh setup completely and I’ve done pretty much everything recommended (example of many threads on this issue), including setting backhaul to auto etc, except a hard reset, recommended there.

half-baked airframes

The new testing platform has many improvements!

airplane-flapping-wings.gif

I am planning a router hard reset and was just browsing the BACKUPMON Addon and had a thought (yeah it hurt) about the retention of existing Addons.

I guess the question is if the USB-SSD is not wiped, what happens when you first run amtm on the Router after a hard-reset, can it recognize all the Addons you put on the USB-SSD and restore them to the amtm menu? Presumably not as it has no way of knowing as jffs/scripts is not populated in the router at this point?

So assuming no, what about if you reinstall the Addons, will they all recognize the parts of the previous install that are on the SSD and retain those?

I know that Diversion recognizes a previous install (of Diversion) and while you have to manually run the setup again, setting it up again is very quick as it retains all the old settings, but I wasn’t sure if the same behaviour is seen with other Addons?

Having just done this on an AX86Pro, it was kind of all over the place. The SSD mounted. After activating scripts, none of them ran (presumably because none of the helper scripts were populated). AMTM said no scripts were installed. Using "ep", ATMT recognized the existing entwre install. Then I installed the scripts one by one, and mostly they found the prior configurations (e.g., scribe said "already installed". It didn't take long.

Last edited: