What's new

AdGuardHome [RELEASE] Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How does Adguard Home's DNS cache function? It must write to a file, which is called what and stored where?
And does it open this file everytime it reads and writes from it?
Or does it just open this file at start of Adguard Home and then remains open untill Adguard Home is closed by either a command from shell or a reboot of the router?
How large can this file become before it gets slow to open and read from? On a RT-AX86U system with a USB stick like this Kioxia TransMemory U301 16GB

I am asking because i wan't to find the optimal size of the cache.

EDIT: I will probably upgrade the USB stick to Corsair Flash Voyager GT 32GB USB 3.0 in the near future.

Last edited:
How does Adguard Home's DNS cache function? It must write to a file, which is called what and stored where?
And does it open this file everytime it reads and writes from it?
Or does it just open this file at start of Adguard Home and then remains open untill Adguard Home is closed by either a command from shell or a reboot of the router?
How large can this file become before it gets slow to open and read from? On a RT-AX86U system with a USB stick like this Kioxia TransMemory U301 16GB

I am asking because i wan't to find the optimal size of the cache.
I recommend a flash storage of at least 50gb and atleast a 2gb swap. Those are my minimal recommendations regarding storage.

Here are my personal optimal test settings in regards to cache. (however you can run defaults if you want, which should be fine)

Code:
  cache_size: 524288
  cache_ttl_min: 1200
  cache_ttl_max: 14400
  cache_optimistic: true
  bogus_nxdomain: []
  aaaa_disabled: false
  enable_dnssec: true
  edns_client_subnet: false
  max_goroutines: 300
  ipset: []
  filtering_enabled: true
  filters_update_interval: 72
  parental_enabled: true
  safesearch_enabled: true
  safebrowsing_enabled: true
  safebrowsing_cache_size: 174763
  safesearch_cache_size: 174763
  parental_cache_size: 174763
  cache_time: 30

stored in /opt/etc/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome.yaml

However, I recommend waiting to hear other users suggestions before taking mine into full consideration.

Here is what I understand in regards to what adguardhome writes:

It has a query log it writes, depending on how many days you store your query log, you want a reasonable storage size for that alone.

The cache is negligable as far as the storage to the USB. It is more important in regards to your RAM usage.

I have a samsung 500gb SSD, so I don't really have the best answer. Just a good starting estimate.

Last edited:
I recommend a flash storage of at least 50gb and atleast a 2gb swap. Those are my minimal recommendations regarding storage.

Here are my optimal test settings in regards to cache.

Code:
  cache_size: 524288
  cache_ttl_min: 1200
  cache_ttl_max: 14400
  cache_optimistic: true
  bogus_nxdomain: []
  aaaa_disabled: false
  enable_dnssec: true
  edns_client_subnet: false
  max_goroutines: 300
  ipset: []
  filtering_enabled: true
  filters_update_interval: 72
  parental_enabled: true
  safesearch_enabled: true
  safebrowsing_enabled: true
  safebrowsing_cache_size: 174763
  safesearch_cache_size: 174763
  parental_cache_size: 174763
  cache_time: 30

stored in /opt/etc/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome.yaml

However, I recommend waiting to hear other users suggestions before taking mine into full consideration.

Here is what I understand in regards to what adguardhome writes:

It has a query log it writes, depending on how many days you store your query log, you want a reasonable storage size for that alone.

The cache is negligable as far as the storage to the USB. It is more important in regards to your RAM usage.

I have a samsung 500gb SSD, so I don't really have the best answer. Just a good starting estimate.
Okey, thank you.

Do you have an idea of a minimum read/write speed of USB storage to aim for?
When i bought my USB stick i just had two things in mind, size and price. Figured i wont need more than 16gb and how slow can a USB stick be? Turns out mine is 6mb/s read :D

Okey, thank you.

Do you have an idea of a minimum read/write speed of USB storage to aim for?
When i bought my USB stick i just had two things in mind, size and price. Figured i wont need more than 16gb and how slow can a USB stick be? Turns out mine is 6mb/s read :D
TBH you should get away with almost any usb as long as you have a reasonable standard read and write and a fair amount of storage 32gb and above would be ideal.

While we are honest, I would tell you to spend the $10 dollars more and get the:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3TXY7L/?tag=snbforums-20

TBH you should get away with almost any usb as long as you have a reasonable standard read and write and a fair amount of storage 32gb and above would be ideal.

While we are honest, I would tell you to spend the $10 dollars more and get the:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3TXY7L/?tag=snbforums-20
Alright, thank you!

EDIT: When changing USB device, do i need to do something more to transfer the data except back up the jffs in Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting?

Alright, thank you!

EDIT: When changing USB device, do i need to do something more to transfer the data except back up the jffs in Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting?
For this aspect there are several guides around the forum. @L&LD provides the best tutorials in this regard. Perhaps he may share some best practices. I don't usually transfer my stuff around enough to provide the most expert advice on doing such.

For this aspect there are several guides around the forum. @L&LD provides the best tutorials in this regard. Perhaps he may share some best practices. I don't usually transfer my stuff around enough to provide the most expert advice on doing such.
I don't find any results or too many results when searching for usb tutorial, guide, FAQ and such. And tag search does not seem to be possible at all.

No results suggest a usb guide of any sort.

I don't find any results or too many results when searching for usb tutorial, guide, FAQ and such. And tag search does not seem to be possible at all.

While I am not an expert you can start with this guide

Thread 'amtm step-by-step install guide - L&LD' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/

Google search spawned this link

Thanks, @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow. @johndoe85, all those search terms would bring little, I agree.

I hope the following links may be helpful.

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

@sirzur was able to use your

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

to do what @johndoe85 is attempting to do.

He describes his method in this post:

If you are still playing around with settings and experimenting... I would suggest that you build the new USB from scratch (unless you have installed a huge amount of add-ons and do not remember the various settings, etc...)

Building from scratch takes longer - but ensures that no unintended errors creep in (and these can sometimes take many hours to fix !).

If you only have a few add-ons/ scripts installed, then I would build from scratch...

If you are still playing around with settings and experimenting... I would suggest that you build the new USB from scratch (unless you have installed a huge amount of add-ons and do not remember the various settings, etc...)

Building from scratch takes longer - but ensures that no unintended errors creep in (and these can sometimes take many hours to fix !).

If you only have a few add-ons/ scripts installed, then I would build from scratch...
Yeah ok, i could do that.

No harm there. Good suggestion.

Not if you are completely starting fresh. You wouldn't want to save anything if you were. Otherwise you may wind up with remnants of a script that cause you a headache.
Okey, my settings are not that much to change, maybe it takes 30 mins to reinstall my router and set it up and running as before.

For DNS cache settings this is what I started using last night. My DNS queries went from 39-43ms to right now showing 26ms

Attachments

• C5DEDBAF-4CED-4BE1-81B8-1EC80C02AD8D.png
    C5DEDBAF-4CED-4BE1-81B8-1EC80C02AD8D.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 131