What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
is a default adaptativeQos+freshJR setup mostly ok? are there some must-do changes on the classification page, that apply in general? or is it user usage specific?
thanks

Last edited:
I was reading some of Fresh's last posts and there are certainly some challenges with IPv6 support:
[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)
Looking for any good ideas on IPv6 for IP-based custom rules. Fresh indicated he had an idea in a later post, but never shared the details AFAIK.
@dave14305 , as far IPV6, I know some folks in this thread were able to customize the FreshJr script and add the "IP" of their IPV6 device. Is this a workaround we can use?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-and-inner-workings.36836/page-98#post-428077

Last edited:
is a default adaptativeQos+freshJR setup mostly ok? are there some must-do changes on the classification page, that apply in general? or is it user usage specific?
thanks

See the first few posts of this thread to put the order correctly. That is all the customization that I've ever done to make this script work. :)

thanks
Set bandwidth to 95% us fq codel, set the per packet overhead if you know the type of connection you have.

@dave14305 , as far IPV6, I know some folks in this thread were able to customize the FreshJr script and add the "IP" of their IPV6 device. Is this a workaround we can use?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-and-inner-workings.36836/page-98#post-428077
The issue I understand is that local LAN IPv6 stateless addresses can change often, so an IPv6-based rule for a gaming console (for example) won’t work consistently once the IPv6 address starts changing to new random values. We can easily add rules to ip6tables based on ports or marks only, but it’s not usually enough to isolate traffic that we want.

The issue I understand is that local LAN IPv6 stateless addresses can change often, so an IPv6-based rule for a gaming console (for example) won’t work consistently once the IPv6 address starts changing to new random values. We can easily add rules to ip6tables based on ports or marks only, but it’s not usually enough to isolate traffic that we want.

Yup. Exactly. Part of the reason why I disabled IPv6 on my router (although my ISP is supporting dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 without any issues, I wasn't seeing any performance or functionality benefit from it and in fact would run into the issue you mentioned; by disabling IPv6 on the router, I only need to worry about IPv4 addresses when it comes to: QoS, port forwarding, security (firewall) issues, ad-blocking etc.)

I won't even pretend this is remotely close to being done behind the scenes, but this is what I've been working on the last couple evenings. By my calculations, we should be able to have at lease 24 fully populated rules (like the nonsense in the screenshot), plus separate AppDB rules once I convert the underlying script to use the Merlin Addon API custom_settings.txt. FreshJR was really ahead of his time but left before it got really interesting for developers.

upload_2020-4-29_14-41-6.png

Truth be told I spent most of last night trying to solve why the columns don't align between the entry table with the dropdowns and the list table with the created rules. Both use the same width % but I think the dropdown fields throw off the calculation. :mad: :p

I got wrapped around the axle, so now I'm saving "pretty" for the end.

I won't even pretend this is remotely close to being done behind the scenes, but this is what I've been working on the last couple evenings. By my calculations, we should be able to have at lease 24 fully populated rules (like the nonsense in the screenshot), plus separate AppDB rules once I convert the underlying script to use the Merlin Addon API custom_settings.txt. FreshJR was really ahead of his time but left before it got really interesting for developers.

View attachment 23156

Truth be told I spent most of last night trying to solve why the columns don't align between the entry table with the dropdowns and the list table with the created rules. Both use the same width % but I think the dropdown fields throw off the calculation. :mad: :p

Have you set table-layout fixed? col groups are also helpful

View attachment 23156

@dave14305...Awesome work....I know its early but thanks for looking into the possibility of upgrading the script in the near future. Any where we can donate too? We don't want to see u burnt out with this impossible task ahead. Let's hope not...
:)

@dave14305...Awesome work....I know its early but thanks for looking into the possibility of upgrading the script in the near future. Any where we can donate to? We don't want to see u burnt out with this impossible task ahead. Let's hope not...
:)
In lieu of money, I prefer the open-ended option to walk away and go back to John’s fork.;)

@dave14305 I've been using your dev branch, and so far so good - ipv6 seems working good (although I have a 6in4 solution, not native. And I use it only sometimes, most for testing things)
Dev from me isn’t trustworthy like a dev branch from a real developer. :(

I've PS4 Pro which i often play, and it's in DHCP mode, script does excellent job in controlling latency for time now, scrolling ssh here and there noticed an option to input Static ip for game console and input it in QOS rules at number 5, should i put my console at static ip and input that ip in number 5, does this practically help anything? Obviously I'm not doubting anything, just asking opinions and observations?

Huge thanks to freshJr and i saw some upcoming work and really appreciate the efforts for upcoming huge upgrade :)
Screenshot_20200430-073053.jpg

Dev from me isn’t trustworthy like a dev branch from a real developer. :(
If this serves as inspiration...I am in no way a "real" developer. I'm a Support Desk tech who learned basic programming and scripting in his free time. I started with Javascript, then some basic PHP before moving on to C# .NET as I wanted to take a stab at writing some desktop applications. My shell scripting didn't really start until I bought an Asus router and joined this wonderful forum. I've found having a project to work on is a much better way to pick up skills and knowledge than working through examples in a book/course. Each person learns differently, of course! We all have to start somewhere :)

(also my dev branch is often a trainwreck, so I've started forcing myself to develop locally, and then commit things in stages to the dev branch :D)

If this serves as inspiration...I am in no way a "real" developer. I'm a Support Desk tech who learned basic programming and scripting in his free time. I started with Javascript, then some basic PHP before moving on to C# .NET as I wanted to take a stab at writing some desktop applications. My shell scripting didn't really start until I bought an Asus router and joined this wonderful forum. I've found having a project to work on is a much better way to pick up skills and knowledge than working through examples in a book/course. Each person learns differently, of course! We all have to start somewhere :)

(also my dev branch is often a trainwreck, so I've started forcing myself to develop locally, and then commit things in stages to the dev branch :D)
Don't you say you're one of those Indian guys who work on a "helpdesk" specialized in removing those annoying popup virus? :p

does QoS apply to vpn traffic too? thanks

Yes. If you're talking about vpn server.
You can go to qos page and see that there are your server clients (usually 10.8.0.0)

server as in client?

I have a vpn client defined on the router to tunnel data to another country.

Let's say i;m using a vpn client to watch a "RTP memoria" video stream from Portugal. ;-)
is this video stream data handled by qos? does it fall in under untracked? or does it go under the radar?
thanks

server as in client?

I have a vpn client defined on the router to tunnel data to another country.

Let's say i;m using a vpn client to watch a "RTP memoria" video stream from Portugal. ;-)
is this video stream data handled by qos? does it fall in under untracked? or does it go under the radar?
thanks
Yep it is handled by qos it's a router thing , so yes!

Telescola meu amigo? :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online