What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
also I just took a look... you've changed shapchat to list as being in others now while the actual data is being redirected to Voip via the script @thelonelycoder
@thelonelycoder lines 1708-1712 needs to read...
Code:
</tr>
            <td>Snapchat </td>
            <td><input type="text" class="input_6_table" maxlength="6"  style="background-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); cursor:default"  value="00006B"></td>
            <td><select class="input_option" style="width:125px; font-size:11.5px; margin-left:-5px; background-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); cursor:default" readonly"><option>VoIP</option></select></td>
        </tr>

actually -1 on those lines.. I added a note at the top =p
It's always been a "feature" of FreshJR to recategorize Snapchat to Other. What are you seeing differently?

It's always been a "feature" of FreshJR to recategorize Snapchat to Other. What are you seeing differently?
Hmmm you know what.. I may have moved it to voip myself a year ago.. I don't recall anymore haha! Carry on! =p

Im using voip for all video audio chat etc communications... wifi calling etc

There is a simple fix available to make the Fresh webui show the AppDB redirection in the proper category.

I've sent a PR to Fresh_JR, but you can also download the updated asp page from my fork:
Code:
curl -o /jffs/scripts/www_FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FreshJR_QOS/master/FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp
The redirected categories will appear with a tilde after the name to differentiate from a normal one, it seems. I tested that the redirection was actually in place in tc, but the UI was not picking up the rule correctly to redraw the categories.
View attachment 23025
Thank you @dave14305 for taking the time to look into this and possibly carrying this script into the future. The fact that there has been numerous firmware updates and no update to @FreshJR's script in sometime shows he did a good job putting it together. I hope he comes back as well but believe with help from the community and @dave14305 it will be in goods hands going forward!

There is a simple fix available to make the Fresh webui show the AppDB redirection in the proper category.

I've sent a PR to Fresh_JR, but you can also download the updated asp page from my fork:
Code:
curl -o /jffs/scripts/www_FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FreshJR_QOS/master/FreshJR_QoS_Stats.asp
The redirected categories will appear with a tilde after the name to differentiate from a normal one, it seems. I tested that the redirection was actually in place in tc, but the UI was not picking up the rule correctly to redraw the categories.
View attachment 23025
Updated and now youtube is showing correctly. Apparently I left that AppDB rule in and never took it out. Updating did allow me to take off the IPrule for the whole PC and just add a rule for youtube as I wanted. Thanks again @dave14305!

upload_2020-4-24_22-24-27.png

Also just cause I'm curious. Was this issue just an overlooked webpage issue where the page wasn't showing the rule being implemented?

Code:
View attachment 23025

Do I need to stop and start QoS after running this?

Also just cause I'm curious. Was this issue just an overlooked webpage issue where the page wasn't showing the rule being implemented?
To the best of my limited knowledge of the big picture, the rule itself was properly implemented behind the scenes on the tc filter. But when the webpage was trying to match the connection's stock category against the custom appdb rule, it was never reaching that point in the code due to an uninitialized (unused) variable not applicable for an appdb rule.
Do I need to stop and start QoS after running this?
No, just refresh the webpage. None of the underlying QoS code needs to change.

While we're at it, I don't want to be tormented by yet another non-native English speaker with a scary clown avatar! :eek:
;)

May not be "another" ... could easily be a non de plume for the original "tormentor" :D ...???

May not be "another" ... could easily be a non de plume for the original "tormentor" :D ...???
Je n'utilize pas de non de plume et je ne parle pas Français. :p

But I'm curious, was someone you had problems with?

You just broke a gamers heart :) but honestly the current gaming rule, I believe works really well. I'll just be thankful if the script gets updated either way! Specially since Asus recently make changes as well to their QoS rules and maybe all can be meshed together!
Don't worry it appears there is hope for us yet, i talked to Jack Cheng the ASUS rep on whirlpool, and he said, they would be looking into natively implanting FQ_Codel.

Waking up seeing you all (@Jack Yaz , @dave14305 , @thelonelycoder) commenting about ideas and suggestions on this makes me so happy! :D This is such a great community of ideas and developers!:D:D This is why I joined this forum and will continue to use Merlin firmware.

BTW, in both the master and fork(s) of this very script is a significant typo in the readme:
Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FreshPr/FreshJR_QOS/master/FreshJR_QOS.sh" -o /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS --create-dirs && sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install

There’s an issue raised on Github about using MAC addresses for source machine identification instead of IPs which may be transient if not pre-assigned in DHCP. It would also allow for the same MAC to be used in ip6tables as well as iptables when duplicating rules for IPv6.

How often are people using CIDR notation to capture multiple machines (but not ALL) on the LAN? What would be the pros and cons? There are still limits of rule storage to be considered, but entering rules twice for IPv4 and IPv6 is also wasteful, when no destination IP is required.

How often are people using CIDR notation to capture multiple machines (but not ALL) on the LAN? .
I used the IP range to consolidate my TV/Video Streaming devices. Would imagine using the MAC address of those device would take up 6 or 7 lines whereas doing it the current way two at most.

There’s an issue raised on Github about using MAC addresses for source machine identification instead of IPs which may be transient if not pre-assigned in DHCP. It would also allow for the same MAC to be used in ip6tables as well as iptables when duplicating rules for IPv6.

How often are people using CIDR notation to capture multiple machines (but not ALL) on the LAN? What would be the pros and cons? There are still limits of rule storage to be considered, but entering rules twice for IPv4 and IPv6 is also wasteful, when no destination IP is required.
In my case, I use CIDR for my rules and everything.
Range 1 - some Chinese wifi powerplugs
Range 2 - streaming devices (TVs, Chromecast, iptv box)
Range 3 - mob phones
Range 4 - computers
Range 5 - DHCP (other devices)

OCD?

Edit - however using my Mac would be a great improvement. Although even if we don't have static IP for some device, most probably it'll keep it.
I have a Samsung smart watch and i haven't put a static IP. And since I'm using this router it has always the same ip issued. Even if the smartwatch is turned off for a week or so.

@dave14305 If you do go towards the Mac address version could we do wildcards with them since most Manufacturers use a few of the same beginning. Something like AA:BB:CC:**:**??

@dave14305 If you do go towards the Mac address version could we do wildcards with them since most Manufacturers use a few of the same beginning. Something like AA:BB:CC:**:**??
I doubt iptables would allow a wildcard MAC address. I’m not really intending on any major shifts in the underlying code, since it’s very complex, but I just want to understand how people are handling device-specific rules. No worries.

I was reading some of Fresh's last posts and there are certainly some challenges with IPv6 support:
[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)
Looking for any good ideas on IPv6 for IP-based custom rules. Fresh indicated he had an idea in a later post, but never shared the details AFAIK.

I also saw @Asad Ali post below about wanting to backport Merlin's Classification filter to FreshJR:
I'm personally in favor of making minimal changes on top of the base Merlin page design, so using more of Merlin's ASP page would be preferred for me.

Also, I'm already very tired of the FreshJR screen drawing issues in the SSH terminal. I'd be grateful if @thelonelycoder or @Adamm or @Jack Yaz could advise where the evil lies so it may be exorcised in my dev prototypes. So many echo \033 statements...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!