What's new

Removing USB from router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxsteel

Regular Contributor
Hi, I want to remove the current usb and format it. Do I need to uninstall everything the router is using right now - entware, diversion, skynet, cakeqos- before disconnecting it? Thanks

edit: At first I thought you just want to format the usb stick and start from scratch (and my instructions below are for that situation). But if this is not the case just ignore my message...

At least, don't uninstall Diversion because you can take advantage of the Diversion backup (if you have one) and this way you don't have to start from scratch with it.

When my usb stick died a few weeks ago I formatted a new one (you can use fd of amtm) and then created a swap file (with amtm as well).

Then installed Diversion. It will find the backup (if there is one)

Code:
!  Found Diversion Standard local backup
     from Jun 04 2020 02:10:01 in /jffs/addons/diversion/

1. Install from local backup in /jffs/addons/diversion/
 2. New installation

Enter your selection [1-2 e=Exit] 1

and will install Entware too.

I didn't use Skynet backups (because I actually don't have that much to backup, I have my banned country list saved as .txt-file anyway).

I had to uninstall Skynet with

Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall uninstall

And then reinstalled Skynet. And pasted my banned country list into it.

Last edited:
@maxsteel, make sure you have a backup of the USB drives contents and also the JFFS partition's contents too (if needed) and store them in a safe place before proceeding.
  • via the GUI, click on the USB drive and then click on the 'Safely remove USB drive' button. Wait for it to finish, then physically remove the USB.
  • If you will re-use the drive in the router again (or not), I suggest you first format it in a PC with NTFS format, before inserting it into the router again.
  • If you will be setting up the scripts again (or not), I suggest you 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot', hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and then reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes waiting 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot.
  • If you want to use the drive in the router again, insert it into the router and use amtm to format it properly as Ext4 w/journaling and create a 2GB swap file.
You may want to see the amtm Step-by-Step guide (please see the link in my signature below for that and other guides) for more details. Also, note that with RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 or later, ignore the part about installing amtm in the guide (it is included in the firmware).

HTH. :)

Last edited:
@maxsteel, make sure you have a backup of the USB drives contents and also the JFFS partition's contents too (if needed) and store them in a safe place before proceeding.
  • via the GUI, click on the USB drive and then click on the 'Safely remove USB drive' button. Wait for it to finish, then physically remove the USB.
  • If you will re-use the drive in the router again (or not), I suggest you first format it in a PC with NTFS format, before inserting it into the router again.
  • If you will be setting up the scripts again (or not), I suggest you 'Format the JFFS partition on the next boot', hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and then reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes waiting 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot.
  • If you want to use the drive in the router again, insert it into the router and use amtm to format it properly as Ext4 w/journaling and create a 2GB swap file.
You may want to see the amtm Step-by-Step guide (please see the link in my signature below for that and other guides) for more details. Also, note that with RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 or later, ignore the part about installing amtm in the guide (it is included in the firmware).

Hi L&LD, so if I want to remove my usb and don’t want to use it again should I just safe remove the drive ? Are there any file changes on the router itself that needs to be reset/ restore?
In other words, once installing the usb and using amtm to run different scripts, is it all being written on the usb or also some system files on the router change?
Thx