What's new

[Review] ASUS GT-AX6000 vs RT-AX88U Pro vs RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, this highlights the fact that they aren't the same in terms of performance as some people here claim.
Also, was the GT-AT6000 tested with the firmware that was released on the 22nd of May?

As I have stated continuously, specs do not make a router (or any other tech product, for that matter). The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Or, in the case of the RT-AX86U Pro (yes, the 'crippled' one), the whole is less than the sum of its parts. As I've stated many, many times. Asus or any other company won't give a $10 discount for no reason. They know it is inferior.

As I have stated continuously, specs do not make a router (or any other tech product, for that matter). The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Or, in the case of the RT-AX86U Pro (yes, the 'crippled' one), the whole is less than the sum of its parts. As I've stated many, many times. Asus or any other company won't give a $10 discount for no reason. They know it is inferior.

Why DO you keep repeating yourself... you seem driven to be Right about something unimportant except perhaps to those who would follow your narrow advice... your customers for instance... do you advise them to come here to learn about their Asuswrt-Merlin-powered network?

OE

Truth is important. Labeling something 'unimportant' doesn't make it so.

And yes, I do suggest to my customers that agree to run RMerlin-powered Asus routers to visit the forums and Eric's website too. In addition to encouraging them to donate to all resources they eventually learn/use too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more tests with somewhat different results:

Even consecutive tests in dynamically changing Wi-Fi environment won't produce the same results.

All three routers have pros and cons. A matter of personal choice. Perhaps the reason all three exist.

So, JakeJ is Sam from Luumina.com?
Man, this test shows the AX86U Pro as pretty sad compared to the other two.

Why is the 5GHz performance so asymmetrical for the AX86U Pro? ('Downstream' on the router would be 'upload' for the client, right?)

I shared my reasons to recommend more often RT-AX86U Pro here:

There is no "more bang for your buck" in unused features. There is only lost bucks. There is no futureproofing with AIO routers either.

Well, this highlights the fact that they aren't the same in terms of performance as some people here claim.
Also, was the GT-AT6000 tested with the firmware that was released on the 22nd of May?

I've had a couple samples of the GT-AX6000 perform like complete garbage relative to Gen 1 BCM AX HW.

I'm in the camp where I'll argue that subjective testing doesn't matter much unless you're the one testing it. Theres too much environment bias for HW.

I did end up on a Qualcomm Networking Pro 1220 platform that seems to out perform everything I had prior though. Pretty happy with it lol

Last edited:
I've had a couple samples of the GT-AX6000 perform like complete garbage relative to Gen 1 BCM AX HW.

I'm in the camp where I'll argue that subjective testing doesn't matter much unless you're the one testing it. Theres too much environment bias for HW.

I did end up on a Qualcomm Networking Pro 1220 platform that seems to out perform everything I had prior though. Pretty happy with it lol
Qualcomm makes some really good router hardware. My old Netgear R7800 was an amazing router at the time and held up amazingly well, but after seven plus years, it started to have some hardware issue that caused it to fail in the end.

That said, today's Netgear is a company that offers poor warranties and support, which means I'm not going back to them. Not many companies seem to know how to work with Qualcomm router hardware as well and they usually go for a premium price.

So, JakeJ is Sam from Luumina.com?
Man, this test shows the AX86U Pro as pretty sad compared to the other two.

Why is the 5GHz performance so asymmetrical for the AX86U Pro? ('Downstream' on the router would be 'upload' for the client, right?)
Yes, JakeJ is Sam from Luumina.com. It's a sort of blog for people that don't want to listen to me mumble on YouTube. And downstream is indeed upload for the client.

I mean there is a way to kind of have similar results as long as the client signal attenuation is similar from site to site and no funny apps are ran in the background. Also, the clients and the server need to be the same...

I mean there is a way to kind of have similar results as long as the client signal attenuation is similar from site to site and no funny apps are ran in the background. Also, the clients and the server need to be the same...
I've tested those with AX200/210 and nothing else in between (single client to make sure results were linear). Identical bonding and channel selection. Same stationary distance. Even swapped units incase of defect.

I don't doubt the results, I'm just partial to subjective environment playing a role.

I never tested AX88U PRO and AX86U PRO and for all I know they could be worse here.

@JakeJ , I guess you test with all firmware settings out-of-the-box? I wonder if sometimes changing some settings could make a noticeable difference for certain metrics.

Qualcomm makes some really good router hardware. My old Netgear R7800 was an amazing router at the time and held up amazingly well, but after seven plus years, it started to have some hardware issue that caused it to fail in the end.

That said, today's Netgear is a company that offers poor warranties and support, which means I'm not going back to them. Not many companies seem to know how to work with Qualcomm router hardware as well and they usually go for a premium price.

Yeah Netgear started going down the tubes with the AX generation of products.

I was given a TPLINK BE800 sample. I'm not the biggest fan of their previous hardware, but this Pro 1220 platform has really good (subjective) performance and port selection out the back. 2x 10G, 1 SFP, 2.5G *4 switch.

Out performs all my previous AX BCM hardware that I tried... just hate the GUI and lack of customization. ASUS does it better, but they're more partial to Broadcom, granted I have seen lower end QCA BE designs in the pipeline.

Either way.. I haven't really seen the need to "side grade" to anything else. Intel AX cards work really well with this design.

Only thing I can really fault is that it's around 1ms laggier than my previous router for speed test with same clients. 🤣. Could be a TPLINK fault though.. who knows.

Nice reviews, but as Tech9 noted, the results vary among the different reviews that were conducted. The one thing that seems to be consistent in terms of performance is that the AX86U Pro 2.4 GHz band does not do as well as the other routers at long range.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!