What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It also matters what you do. A small lag during nexflix causes a pause or if gaming can mean death. If all you do is surf the net then it wont matter.

I thought that's what the gaming ports actually did, ?
It is only 2 ports. No only that but it is assigned the highest priority. With QOS you can give it highest, high, normal, default and low priority. So something that is higher priority like netfix but you are a gamer you can give the xbox highest the smart tv high and the thermostat low. Vs these two are highest and the rest are a free for all.

So the two gaming ports work exactly as I thought. They give the highest priority over all other ports.

Hi, I am new to the Rapture GT-AC5300 coming from a wifi dropping Netgear X10 R9000 that I have spent far to much time troubleshooting.
My question is can I use my NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band Wi-Fi range extender with the GT-AC5300 to boost my signal?

Hi, I am new to the Rapture GT-AC5300 coming from a wifi dropping Netgear X10 R9000 that I have spent far to much time troubleshooting.
My question is can I use my NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band Wi-Fi range extender with the GT-AC5300 to boost my signal?
You should be able to use it as an extender but not mesh

I you have a 1 gbps WAN connection the changes of it being saturated is near zero. Just finding an actual speed test that saturate it is difficult.
Bandwidth isn't the purpose of QoS: latency is.

I don't want my real-time game data getting delayed, not even by milliseconds if I'm playing an FPS.
I don't want my streaming video getting artifacts.
I don't want my voice call getting static or drop-outs.

I don't care how long my file transfer takes; it's not real-time but it can cause the other three items to sit in the buffer longer than I want.

I thought that's what the gaming ports actually did, ?
What do you think happens when one game downloads a multi-gigabyte update whilst playing another without QoS?
Or Windows Update on the game port?
Or someone gaming on the other game port?
A multi-gigabyte download on a game port does what to your TV not on a game port?

I find the port prioritization gimmicky rather than useful, posing more questions than answers. Properly-configured QoS settles all this. Unfortunately, trying to provide dumbed-down out-of-the-box QoS may work against this.

This router has all this CPU power and RAM...I think we should leverage it.

All of a suden I am having issue with OpenVPN on router. It is coming up as....

Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection.
InternetScan.gif

But never comes up!

Another issue I am now seeing, is everytime I click on firmware....either through firmware version on top of screen or Administration/firmware it automatically starts a firmware download and install. Instead of going to firmware page to check signature/ check firmware/ or upload firmware.

Another issue I am now seeing, is everytime I click on firmware....either through firmware version on top of screen or Administration/firmware it automatically starts a firmware download and install. Instead of going to firmware page to check signature/ check firmware/ or upload firmware.
I get that also but it's just displaying a progress bar; it's not actually doing anything else (watch syslog and the lights).

Be sure to use the feedback function in the router to report all these.

And leave reviews wherever you purchased it.

I get that also but it's just displaying a progress bar; it's not actually doing anything else (watch syslog and the lights).

Be sure to use the feedback function in the router to report all these.

And leave reviews wherever you purchased it.

I do and never has anyone reached back out to me!

I do and never has anyone reached back out to me!
I doubt they will and I wouldn't want them to. I want them to compile bug reports so the devs can fix them.
I don't want them to "help" me to "troubleshoot" problems that aren't on my end.
I don't want them neglecting UI bugs and basic functions in favor of adding fluff: I'm concerned that they added Alexa and IFTTT frivolities (and who knows how many vulnerabilities) rather than fixing QoS settings, blacklist, and client list display. I have 2 weeks to decide if I want to return this.

Port 1 bug is gone with latest fw

Just the DLNA bug still persists for me as well the bug @howie411 said i have as well

Not for me. I’m still getting tons of port flapping when the Xbox goes into Standby in instant-on mode. I’m thinking this is an issue with the Xbox rather than the router as I have two Xbox One X’s that do the same thing.

Not for me. I’m still getting tons of port flapping when the Xbox goes into Standby in instant-on mode. I’m thinking this is an issue with the Xbox rather than the router as I have two Xbox One X’s that do the same thing.
Hard not to conclude that it turns of the ethernet interface in standby mode.

OK, I thought this 384 firmware fixed the crash and burn issue I had when SmartConnect was enabled but it did it twice in two days and it does it consistently when my wife comes home (no kidding). She has a Surface Pro 4 and an htc 10 smartphone. The router is fine all day and within about 30 minutes, the router drops WiFi (signals are there but nothing can authenticate), then logging in gets really reeeeeeally slow and eventually non-responsive, then LAN will drop. Reboot and it repeats about 30 minutes later.

Bandwidth isn't the purpose of QoS: latency is.

I don't want my real-time game data getting delayed, not even by milliseconds if I'm playing an FPS.
I don't want my streaming video getting artifacts.
I don't want my voice call getting static or drop-outs.

I don't care how long my file transfer takes; it's not real-time but it can cause the other three items to sit in the buffer longer than I want.
Neither would I but it is simply not a problem with a 1gb connection. Monitoring traffic it becomes obvious that the line is never saturated so there will always be bandwith for any of the scenarios you mention. They simply do not happen. And even if one client should somehow find a magic server that could deliver a data at "full speed", all our connections are wireless the throughput here would be limited by this.

I have always used QoS in the past but after getting a 1 gbps WAN connection it becomes obvious that it is not needed (yet - in a few years this may be a wrong assumption).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!