What's new

Router or AP buying advice for 1300 square feet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

introstand

New Around Here
Hi!

We are about to move to a new home of approx. 1300 square feet (one floor) and I'm looking for a new router or AP solution. I've already been spending to much time researching this I can't seem to come a a conclusion so I would really appreciate your help.

My main question is if a wireless router will be enough or if I should go for a multi node solution. Usage will look something like this.
- 2 mobiles
- 2 laptops
- Streaming (Netflix/TV), at times to 2 TV sets placed at opposite sides of the house via Apple TV
- 1 NAS (Synology DS216Play)
- A Sonos system of 4 speakers (could also be run separately on a Sonos Bridge)

My main priority is getting a system that is reliable with a good signal and high speed in the whole house. We will probably have a internet connection of 500GBit.

Thanks in advance!

Netgear R7000, ASUS AC-68U, Linksys WRT 1900AC and Netgear R7800 are all pretty good and should be below ~$200. AC88U is also pretty good but costs ~$70-80 more than the rest and probably has the best 2.4Ghz performance.

Of those listed the R7800 has the greatest 5Ghz range and peak speed to better utilize your 500Mbit Connection. ( I get ~480Mbps for a 730MB file transfer from my NAS ~12-15ft away one floor below my router with a Dell Latitude E6230 - upgraded from Intel 6300N to a Intel 7260AC adapter.) ASUS on the other hand does have more UI options and a better interface in general compared to other brands and more frequent updates as well.

I attached some images from tests at ~5ft and around 12-15ft. Uploads are faster in real world as seen in the file explorer image at 12-15ft than LAN Speed Test for some reason lol.

Attachments

• R7800.png
    R7800.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 5ft.png
    5ft.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 296
  • 15ft.png
    15ft.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
Note that as long as you can hard wire one of your Sonos speakers, you don't need a bridge anymore. The connected speaker will setup SONOSnet for the rest of the speakers to utilize without riding your WiFi.

Thanks for your replies guys!

As for the Sonos, I already have a bridge so I will probably use that to setup the SonosNet. Thanks!

@avtella, are all those screens taken using the R7800? That is one of the routers I'm choosing from along with the Synology RT2600ac and TP-Link Archer c3150. So you think the R7800 will be enough to cover the whole house?

Yes the above screenshots are from my R7800.

The Synology is pretty much the same as the R7800 hardware wise but the Synology is probably a better pick if using stock firmware, my R7800 placed in the middle of the top floor covers 2 stories plus the basement without issues (2500Sqft, I think) so the Synology RT2600AC should easily do the same. I mean even the AC68U/R7000 could cover my home but at lower speeds.

SmallNetBuilder Review of RT2600AC:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...ogy-rt2600ac-router-reviewed?showall=&start=3

Last edited: