What's new

RT-AC66U Merlin 376.44 DDNS No-IP Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GregW

Occasional Visitor
Greetings,

I ran into an interesting issue with DDNS last night. I created a new account on NO-IP last night and pointed it to my routers external IP address. When I entered my network alias into the browser the network redirect pointed back to my RT-AC66U router and prompted me to login to the router.

That all seems correct, except that I have Enable Web Access from WAN turned off.

Am I misinterpreting what the Enable Web Access from WAN feature does?
I had thought that the router would not respond with a login prompt when this feature was turned off.

If anyone can help me understand how this works I would appreciate the help.

Thank You.

Greg Williams

nothing to worry about, normal behavior with the help of nat loopback. you can verify you aren't exposed with any external firewall test like ShieldsUp

Thank you for your help, I'm not sure that I understand everything.

Are you saying that if I hit the redirect from an external network the router would not respond with a login prompt?

It definitely concerned me when it responded with a login last night. I eventually deleted the redirect from No-IP and turned off the DDNS service in the router to make sure I was secure.

Thanks

Thank you, I set the redirect back up and tested it from within my network and from and external connection.

It is indeed not accessible from outside my network.

Thank you for helping me understand how this works.

Greg

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!