What's new

RT-ACC6R Crashes/Reboots while using Nvidia Gamestream

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

turnerm

Occasional Visitor
I'm having an issue where my router will suddenly crash and reboot while using Nvidia's Gamestream for streaming games to my Shield Portable from a PC on my network.

It works brilliantly but then suddenly the router crashes and forces a reboot.

I've tried a myriad of things all without success.

I've upgraded to the latest stock firmware.
I've installed Merlin's latest firmware.
I've tried enabling, disabling and also tried the auto setting for NAT acceleration
I've tried disabling and enabling Jumbo Frames
I've completely disabled my VPN and ensured that all extra services (media server, usb file sharing, etc) are all turned off.
I watched the CPU and RAM graphs (using Merlin's firmware) while streaming games and my RAM never got above 20% and my CPU stayed right around 10% so I don't think this is a memory/resource issue.

Any thoughts on what I should look into next? Is it possible to capture the log prior to the crash/reboot to see what's going on?

i think it is a temperature issue. Wifi chips are sensitive to heat. If they run above 50 degrees it would explain the crashes.

Thanks. I'll monitor to see if it's heat related but I do believe that you are onto something because once a crash happens and I allow the router to reboot and then try to resume streaming a game the next crash occurs relatively quickly.

The first crash usually seems to take longer and sometimes doesn't occur. I have my router sitting in the top of a coat closet. It is slightly warm to the touch at all times so it makes sense that it could heat up rapidly while streaming.

If this is the case then hopefully I can just stick a fan up there and keep it nice and cool.

Update... I don't think this is an overheating issue. My router is showing temp of 52/54 under non-streaming conditions and if never guess above 53/55 while streaming. But it still crashed on me after about 45 minutes of fame streaming.

I kept refreshing the page to see the updated temps.

Any other ideas?

I moved my fan around and for my temps to 50/51 and even after a crash/reboot the temps are still showing the same so I would think of it were an overheating issue that they would show significantly higher after voting back up.

I'm having an issue where my router will suddenly crash and reboot while using Nvidia's Gamestream for streaming games to my Shield Portable from a PC on my network.
Any thoughts on what I should look into next? Is it possible to capture the log prior to the crash/reboot to see what's going on?

If you meant to say you are running an AC66R, if you have JFFS storage active on Merlin FW, a mirror copy of the syslog will automatically be saved in /jffs

Last edited:
If you meant to say you are running an AC66R, if you have JFFS storage active on Merlin FW, a mirror copy of the syslog will automatically be saved in /jffs

Yes, this is what I meant to say. Couldn't figure out how to edit the title.

Thanks, I'll check into this!

I'm at a loss now. I've tried every setting that I know of and my router keeps crashing.

I've complete unistalled and reinstalled the gamestream software and I also did a clean install of my video card driver. No dice. Eventually a gamestreaming session will crash and reboot my router. Every single time, without fail. I'm not even sure if the even log entry that I was chasing had anything to do with it at this point.

The oddest thing to me is that I can stream my PS4 games to the same devices flawlessly with absolutely no network issues at all.

Quick update. I broke down today and bout the Asus RT-AC86U as a last resort. It worked!! I can stream flawlessly on max settings now. I suppose the AC66R was just getting overloaded!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!