What's new

RT-AX58U lts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

extremelymad

New Around Here
I was in desperate need of a new router and after some searching I have decided to buy the RT-AX58u however I was wondering until when would it be supported? On the ASUS website I can find a list with dates for when some models go out of support but it's for Singapore (it does mention the AX58u as well - untill February 2025). But on the EOL product page it still mentions the AX58u as a recommended replacement, this honestly does make me wonder if I bought a router that will be supported for longer than half a year.

The reason I picked the AX58u is because I read it supports the Merlin firmware which seemed very interesting to me

tldr;
Did I purchase a good router?

Thank you very much for reading!

Merlin only supports AX58U V1 if you have the newer AX58U ver2 it is not Merlin supported. That model has been around since 2019 so EOL wont be long. Asus has already EOL'ed the AX56U.

It's the V2 variant of the router. Sadly it's so unclear (or I just don't know where to look) on what to expect in terms of lifetime. I mean, it's still being sold for a 100 eur around here and there are cheaper options on the market.

In terms of Merlin I can use the GNUton port if I'm not mistaken :)

In terms of Merlin I can use the GNUton port if I'm not mistaken :)

Yes Indeed you can. There are many places that still sell router models that are listed end of life. I was at Best Buy yesterday and they have the AX56U for sale despite the fact it's no longer supported. Should be laws against this.

The reason I picked the AX58u is because I read it supports the Merlin firmware which seemed very interesting to me
Asus-Merlin only supports the V1 version of the RT-AX58U. Asus-Merlin does not support the V2 version of the RT-AX58U.

Supported models​

• RT-AX58U V1
The Gnuton fork of the Asus-Merlin firmware does support the V2 version of the RT-AX58U.

Supported devices:
3004.388.x firmware downloads: stable or testing

Yes Indeed you can. There are many places that still sell router models that are listed end of life. I was at Best Buy yesterday and they have the AX56U for sale despite the fact it's no longer supported. Should be laws against this.
It would be nice to have laws in place for that yeah, hopefully I'm still good for at least minimally a year!

@bennor
Yes! I noticed that but thanks for reminding me :)