What's new

Release RT-AX86U Pro Version 3.0.0.6.102_34319 09OCT24 (2024/10/16 ?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After mine upgraded nothing but problems. Nobody can connect to the 5g band. I've done hard resets and no go. I'm going to have to hook old faithful AC68U up and upload the previous firmware again. I'm not sure whether to turn on auto update or not. Definitely didn't improve signal or memory function on mine. Ram use barely went above 500mb before. Now it doesn't go below 900mb, even on a reboot with nobody connected to wifi.

My home ASUS RT-AX86U Pro was updated yesterday through auto-update and has similar issues. Specifically, it's random dropouts on 5ghz and a slow handshake if it does connect. 2.4ghz, no problems. Multiple reboots; I haven't attempted any resets but will attempt to flashback.

My home ASUS RT-AX86U Pro was updated yesterday through auto-update and has similar issues. Specifically, it's random dropouts on 5ghz and a slow handshake if it does connect. 2.4ghz, no problems. Multiple reboots; I haven't attempted any resets but will attempt to flashback.
For the folks having 5 GHz issues - if you are forcing 160 MHz, don't. Drop back to 80 MHz and try that or 20-40-80-160 MHz on a non DFS channel. Try fixing to channel 36. Use WPA2-Personal. A factory reset with manual reconfigure may be in order and other than setting the SSID for SmartConnect leave the WIFI settings at default.

For the folks having 5 GHz issues - if you are forcing 160 MHz, don't. Drop back to 80 MHz and try that or 20-40-80-160 MHz on a non DFS channel. Try fixing to channel 36. Use WPA2-Personal. A factory reset with manual reconfigure may be in order and other than setting the SSID for SmartConnect leave the WIFI settings at default.
Agreed.
Recommended Non-DFS Channels: 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161 and can all transmit at up to 1000mW which is good for larger coverage areas (most people). Select the channel with the least traffic and the lowest signal strength from neighbors using the Android App WiFiAnalyzer by VREM - one of the only that properly shows channel widths (20, 40, 80, 160 Mhz) so you can avoid those channels.
The below site incorrectly states that channels 36 through 48 transmit at 200mW in the US:

Last edited:
The article above is mentioning North America (5GHz band), but in fact there are differences between countries. For example Ch. 36-48 in the US allow up to 1000mW, in Canada up to 200mW. In Europe Ch. 149-161 is generally not available, 2.4GHz band is up to 100mW, etc. Not too many people know, but the same model routers in different regions may perform differently. General advice about channels doesn't apply to everyone and Wi-Fi planning in different regions is quite different.

The article above is mentioning North America (5GHz band), but in fact there are differences between countries. For example Ch. 36-48 in the US allow up to 1000mW, in Canada up to 200mW. In Europe Ch. 149-161 is generally not available, 2.4GHz band is up to 100mW, etc. Not too many people know, but the same model routers in different regions may perform differently. General advice about channels doesn't apply to everyone and Wi-Fi planning in different regions is quite different.
Extremely confusing. I've checked multiple sources online. Some say 36-48 in the US allow up to 1000mW. Others say 200mW. Still others say that some routers transmit at the lowest common power of 200mW regardless of 5Gz Channel. Do you happen to know the facts about the tx power of the RT-AX86U Pro? Do you know a definitive source with this information? Thank You.
Example:

This doc may have it for the US region:

OE
Thanks!
§ 15.407(a)(1)(ii) states Channels 36 to 48 are 1 W:
For an indoor access point operating in the band 5.15-5.25 GHz, the maximum conducted output power over the frequency band of operation shall not exceed 1 W provided the maximum antenna gain does not exceed 6 dBi.

§ 15.407(a)(2) states for channels 52 to 144 are 250 mW:
For the 5.25-5.35 GHz and 5.47-5.725 GHz bands, the maximum conducted output power over the frequency bands of operation shall not exceed the lesser of 250 mW or 11 dBm...

§ 15.407(a)(3)(i) states for channels 149 to 161 are 1 W:
For the band 5.725-5.850 GHz, the maximum conducted output power over the frequency band of operation shall not exceed 1 W.

Note: There are many exceptions and conditions and some power levels are specified in dBm.

I've verified through signal testing that channels 36 through 48 and 149 through 161 are the same power - up to 1000mW.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!