What's new

RT-AX88U maxing out a core and regularly showing 60+ MB/s upload

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My spikes today weren't a glitch. I check my isp app and it displays the amount of GB's used and see big jumps!!
Changed my password again, even stronger, rebooted and switched off ddns again.
Will rely on twingate for access (hoping this is still secure)
Unfortunately I have Spectrum Internet and it's unlimited, so they provide no data to the customer. I imagine if this is actually happening and continues, I will hear from them.

I have a new router omada ER7206 coming today. Until this is fixed on my asus I can't be dealing with this issue wile trying to work from home remoting from one continent to another through azure vpn/ rdp.
Been thinkng of going omada for a while, will install the controller as a container on my unraid. (of course unless I have an infected device on my lan and the same happens! Fingers crossed the tplink will at least allow me to continue without this current issues until we know for sure what it is)

Aren’t these AiCloud services disabled by default in Merlin? Are people intentionally enabling them or is this a chained exploit using some other method to get into the router and enable the AiCloud services?

We still have no idea if it’s really AiCloud’s fault, but it’s been present on all the devices confirmed to have the sshd “infection”. Guilty until proven innocent?

Once I get my omada set up tonight, I'll swap them over and totally wipe the RT-AX86U. Then probably use it as non-dhcp, wifi only AP with the other RT-AC86U I have as a mesh node.

Once I get my omada set up tonight

By the way, if you are going to use Omada SDN and not stand alone GUI - Omada doesn't require local hardware/software controller anymore. There is a new Omada Cloud-Based Controller option with free account. Somewhat limited in features, but can save $100 in hardware.

By the way, if you are going to use Omada SDN and not stand alone GUI - Omada doesn't require local hardware/software controller anymore. There is a new Omada Cloud-Based Controller option with free account. Somewhat limited in features, but can save $100 in hardware.

Unraid have the omada controller as an app - will give that a go first, good reviews.
But thanks for the alternative option. Prefer to have it local

I found this:
Date: June 16, 2024
But it's Oct and we've only seen these issues now?

Now all of us on merlin, roll back to stock with this patch update? Or are merlin going to release a new version?
Anyways my omada ER7206 is arriving tonight. We'll give that a run for its money to see if I like the ecosystem.

Perhaps we can look forward to a patched 3004 merlin drop soon. But, as things are shaping up, we'd only be vulnerable if we leave the door open by exposing services on the router anyway.

Aren’t these AiCloud services disabled by default in Merlin? Are people intentionally enabling them or is this a chained exploit using some other method to get into the router and enable the AiCloud services?

We still have no idea if it’s really AiCloud’s fault, but it’s been present on all the devices confirmed to have the sshd “infection”. Guilty until proven innocent?
I'm running stock ASUS firmware, not Merlin. Yes, it's enabled by default.

Interesting theory. I honestly cannot remember turning them on myself. I have them disabled and so far so good. But it has been only 2 days so far.

Thread 'ASUS RT-BE86U Firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_37022'
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-be86u-firmware-version-3-0-0-6-102_37022.92289/

“2.Enhanced AiCloud password protection mechanisms, safeguarding against unauthorized access attempts.”

Seems that AiCloud could be the problem child.
The RT-AX5400 firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_25119 had a very similar changelog for security too.

RT-AX57 Go recent firmware made a mention about fixing AiCloud vulnerabilities too.
Version 3.0.0.6.102_55783 (2024/10/15)
Security:
Update SAE-H2E for security.
Update privacy policy.
Fixed OpenVPN vulnerabilities.
Fixed Security command injection.
Fixed AiCloud vulnerabilities.

Feature:
Add Home/Travel mode for multi-function button, you can swap different modes with customized settings with the physical button.
Fixed AiCloud related issues.