What's new

RT-AX88U Pro - Block YouTube on Smart TV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elrengo

Regular Contributor
Hi! I need to block YouTube on my two Smart TVs, Samsung. Samsung does not allow uninstalling, removing or disabling the YouTube Application on its devices. The best way to be unable to access to YouTube for my child's, is to block in my RT-AX88U Pro.
The Parental Controls do now allow block only the YouTube, and also the URL filter only blocks an URL but not to specific device, I only need to block in two SmartTV.
Thanks in advance!

That seems....extreme, and it may be more harmful than helpful to the overall web experience on your network, but I'm sure you have your reasons.
Not that I can help achieve what you're asking. Just here to encourage you to search for other options.

Maybe try using a PIN code on the TV instead?

AdGuard Home has YouTube specifically in blocked services menu. It's available as add-on to Asuswrt-Merlin. I don't have it running at the moment to show how, but filtering specific devices is possible. Perhaps AdGuard Home Wiki contains details on how to do it, services or blocklist way.

Last edited:
That seems....extreme, and it may be more harmful than helpful to the overall web experience on your network, but I'm sure you have your reasons.
Not that I can help achieve what you're asking. Just here to encourage you to search for other options.
Why seems extreme? The best way will be to remove the app, but for commercial propurse and the alliance between Samsung and Google that is not possible. YouTube is not a secure application for children under the age of 13. Why do you think that would result in a poor experience on my network? I'm just needed to block a URL to two specific local IPs, nothing more.
I would appreciate it if you could provide me with other options. I need illumination.

Just thinking outloud: DNS Director using a DNS that filters YT (OpenDNS, CleanBrowsing) and point those 2 MAC devices to use that DNS.

I don't know for sure if OpenDNS or Cleanbrowsing or similar lets you block specifically only YT, thats why thinking outloud.
But besides that, method should work.

Maybe try using a PIN code on the TV instead?
Its not possible to use it

AdGuard Home has YouTube specifically in blocked services menu. It's available as add-on to Asuswrt-Merlin. I don't have it running at the moment to show how, but filtering specific devices is possible. Perhaps AdGuard Home Wiki contains details on how to do it, services or blocklist way.
I just tried this and it worked perfect.

1722032511296.png

Now scroll down and select and save

1722032540167.png

When I try to load youtube just a spinning icon.

1722032569515.png

Also looks like you can set a schedule for it. However I don't see way to block via ip yet so that will block youtube for the whole network.

1722032605246.png

Thanks, @Makaveli. I can see AdGuard can block YouTube to all network, It's possible to block in specific device using IP or mac address?

Thanks, @Makaveli. I can see AdGuard can block YouTube to all network, It's possible to block in specific device using IP or mac address?
The recipe is simple:

#1 Install Adguard Home somewhere on your network (NAS, Raspberry Pi, laptop, computer, etc.), choose your favorite hardware.
#2 Configure your Samsungs TV with manual IP address AND the DNS. **The DNS is, at this point, your Adguard Home equipement.
#3 Block Youtube, in Adguard Home, like in the previous example in this thread.
#4 Youtube will be available on your network EXCEPT your Samsungs TV for your kids! Enjoy!

Sorry for my english this is not my first language.

Last edited:
You can setup custom filtering per client

1722351240298.png

Click on edit for that client and then block the services that you are interested in.
1722351326184.png

You can also set specific DNS servers per client so that if you wanted a highly restrictive DNS server for that client, you can leverage that for the kids. Adguard does a decent job at blocking most inappropriate content if you have the filters setup correctly. Highly recommend.

Attachments

• 1722351306926.png
    1722351306926.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 16
You can setup custom filtering per client

View attachment 60638

Click on edit for that client and then block the services that you are interested in.
View attachment 60640

You can also set specific DNS servers per client so that if you wanted a highly restrictive DNS server for that client, you can leverage that for the kids. Adguard does a decent job at blocking most inappropriate content if you have the filters setup correctly. Highly recommend.

@elrengo do this!!

I just tested this by blocking youtube on my cell phone.

1722373919216.png

1722373940118.png

Last edited: