What's new

RT-N16 Vs HP-G300NH

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

samoz83

New Around Here
Hi guys,

just wondering your thoughts on which is best between the ASUS RT-n16 and the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, in terms of stock firmware which provides the best speeds and QoS options (as im a heavy gamer ;)). Also which gives the best NAS speeds if anyone knows?

Thanks

Check the wireless and router charts to compare wired routing and wireless speeds.
The Buffalo has the edge on routing speed. Its NAS speed was about twice that of
the ASUS, around 10 MB/s write and read to an XFS-formatted USB drive.

The ASUS measured 2 MB/s for write and 5 MB/s for read to a FAT 32 formatted drive.

I can't help with the Buffalo, but I have been following the RT-N16 for quite awhile. There seem to be a significant number of people having trouble implementing the USB drive and printer functions. Large file downloads and frequent resets are a problem, too.

To be fair, other people report no problems. Asus is very slow to release new firmware to resolve these issues. I just bought an RT-N16 after becoming convinced that teddy_bear's version of Tomato for the N16 is stable and does what I need.

I tried the router with factory firmware for simple functions like email, surfing and downloading single files (no P2P, USB or Print sharing). It worked with no issues, but seemed sluggish and pretty much the same in all respects as the WTR54GL that it is replacing. Wireless range and speed on G was similar to the old Lynksys.

When I installed Tomato, things got a lot snappier. Pages load very fast. Wireless G is a little faster with more range and things just seem to work a lot better than the factory firmware. Zero connection drops in over a week. I have not tried USB, Print Sharing or P2P. I'm very pleased with the performance with Tomato. Not so much with the factory firmware.

I don't know why surfing is so much faster. May be because I used Tomatoes QOS to give DNS activity the highest priority.

Cheers guys, gonna go with the Buffalo (have to anyway as the RT-N16 doesn't seem to be anywhere in the UK)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!