What's new

RT-N56U as a Bridge?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Guz

OK,

I'm trying to get a RT-N56U to be a hybrid bridge to a Cisco E4200 (for range extension).
Goal:
Modem <----> E4200 (A) ==== RT-N56U (B) <-=-=-=-> PC

<----> cat5
===== wireless
<-=-=-=-> cat5 or wireless

I've followed instructions from Asus:
On Router (B):
Turn off DHCP
Set LAN IP to 192.168.1.3
Set the Wifi settings to match router (A) (SSID, Security Mode, Passphrase, channel, etc.).
Wireless config, Bridge, Hybrid, add the router (A) wireless MAC addresses.

They're just not connecting up. I've tried the Official firmware, Custom firmware (haven't tried the Beta Firmware, yet). Any ideas?

I already have an old Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT firmware as a bridge/repeater, and it works. It's just old and doesn't support 802.11-N. I would like to put the RT-N56U in it's place.

Are you sure nothing else is using that IP address?

Yep, it's a free IP address. The Cisco DHCP starts at 192.168.1.100

I got it somewhat working with the Custom firmware, but it's this:

Modem <----> E4200 (A) ==== RT-N56U (B) <----> PC
<----> cat5
===== wireless
<-=-=-=-> cat5 or wireless

I had to set the bridge configuration to "AP Client" and also set the router to "AP mode" (doing this was was documented anywhere).

I just can't get the wireless to the PC to work.

Guz,

I just set up a very similar wlan so thought I'd pass along my info.
Rather than E4200 I have netgear WNDR4000 as the repeater base station but the rest is the same.

I set the bridge on 2.4ghz radio only. 5ghz uses the 2.4ghz bridge.

To use RT-N56U as a repeater bridge, within the Bridge 2.4ghz settings you need to set the wireless mode to Hybrid. I believe AP mode would only allow wired clients.
Put the E4200 2.4ghz MAC into the list of remote AP's, and vice versa on the E4200 settings.

On the repeater disable the DHCP server, and give it a static IP outside the range that the router can assign. Add this to the router's list of static IP's.

Next, the bridge is WDS, which means the only security option is Open with WEP encryption. The router 2.4 security should be set to WEP with shared key. 5ghz security can be whatever you like.
I suggest setting it up without security first, then set security once it is working.

The SSID's do not have to match on router and repeater bridge, but the channels do.

Good luck