What's new

RT-N66U Cannot alter DHCP Range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

legacyofbob

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I do not seem to be able to change anything on my DHCP page after upgrading to 3.0.0.4.374_720. I made sure to reset settings and reload after the upgrade. The problem appears to be that pressing the "Apply" button at the bottom of the page doesn't do anything. I've tried changing the range of IPs, adding a static entry, turning off the DHCP server, nothing works.

I spoke with ASUS via live chat about it and they basically said if I tried rebooting it and that didn't work then it has to be RMA'ed. Seems more like a bug to me. Any ideas?

dhcp-issue.jpg

I suspect you might have a device with an invalid network name, which breaks the Javascript code on the page. Try the following:

1) Unplug all network device except for the modem and the computer used to configure the router
2) Reboot the router to clear its internal device list
3) Try again reconfiguring the DHCP range on that page

If it still fails, try opening your web browser debugging console to see if there is any Javascript error occuring, If there is, post the line with the error, I'll see if I can help you figure out what is causing it.

I tried what you described and still nothing. Here is the error from the console.

Thank you for your help.

dhcp-issue2.jpg

Weird problem. The "Enable manual assignment" button doesn't work? Have you tried flashing back to a previous firmware and then reseting the router again?

Last edited:
Weird problem. The "Enable manual assignment" button doesn't work? Have you tried flashing back to a previous firmware and then reseting the router again?

I have not yet tired that as on the previous firmware I had real trouble with the 5GHz network. I'm only messing around with the DHCP stuff because I want to stand up a FreeNAS server and make sure it always has the same IP.

I can change the "enable manual assignment" from no to yes but the apply button doesn't work. Basically anything on the page I can change but it won't save.

I'm open to trying the third party firmwares that people mention on this site if you think that will solve this issue and the quality of the 5GHz a/n wifi.

Thanks.

Have you tried it in another browser?

Hello,

I do not seem to be able to change anything on my DHCP page after upgrading to 3.0.0.4.374_720. I made sure to reset settings and reload after the upgrade. The problem appears to be that pressing the "Apply" button at the bottom of the page doesn't do anything. I've tried changing the range of IPs, adding a static entry, turning off the DHCP server, nothing works.

I spoke with ASUS via live chat about it and they basically said if I tried rebooting it and that didn't work then it has to be RMA'ed. Seems more like a bug to me. Any ideas?

dhcp-issue.jpg

You're not supposed to "reload" your old settings after a reset to defaults. It defeats the purpose. You must reconfigure from scratch after the reset. Try reading the sticky that Merlin spent a lot of time writing.

You're not supposed to "reload" your old settings after a reset to defaults. It defeats the purpose. You must reconfigure from scratch after the reset. Try reading the sticky that Merlin spent a lot of time writing.

Or try following basic troubleshooting steps in this thread:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12453

When I said reload I meant reboot. I did reconfigure everything from scratch.

I've done all of those troubleshooting steps except the ones relating to WiFi as I'm not having an issue with that.

Edit: Merlins guide has to do with troubleshooting Wifi issues. As I've stated I'm not having Wifi issues but issues with the DHCP options. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
I have not yet tired that as on the previous firmware I had real trouble with the 5GHz network. I'm only messing around with the DHCP stuff because I want to stand up a FreeNAS server and make sure it always has the same IP.

I can change the "enable manual assignment" from no to yes but the apply button doesn't work. Basically anything on the page I can change but it won't save.

I'm open to trying the third party firmwares that people mention on this site if you think that will solve this issue and the quality of the 5GHz a/n wifi.

Thanks.

Set the Enable manual option to Yes, add your settings in the fields below it, click on + to add the just-entered setting, then try to click on Apply. Does that work?

I just changed the scope of this router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.47.1 using Firefox---no problem. I also changed the dhcp pool to 192.168.47.100-152 using Firefox---no problems. Same router -same firmware.

Set the Enable manual option to Yes, add your settings in the fields below it, click on + to add the just-entered setting, then try to click on Apply. Does that work?

Nope. Also the + doesn't not do anything. Opening the Java console shows that pressing the + button gives the same error as the "Apply" button.

Do you think it's worth trying to re-flash the image or should I downgrade then upgrade? Or should I just try something 3rd party?

I just changed the scope of this router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.47.1 using Firefox---no problem. I also changed the dhcp pool to 192.168.47.100-152 using Firefox---no problems. Same router -same firmware.

Tried Firefox from a different computer, same errors.

DHCPIssue3.jpg

After you enter a MAC and an IP, open the error console, click on the +, and report any error happening right after that (and the content of the line where the error occurs). The one that you posted previously simply shows that you tried to click on Apply while there was nothing in the static list.

(re)flashing the firmware will have no impact. The flashed firmware either works, or doesn't work at all.

After you enter a MAC and an IP, open the error console, click on the +, and report any error happening right after that (and the content of the line where the error occurs). The one that you posted previously simply shows that you tried to click on Apply while there was nothing in the static list.

(re)flashing the firmware will have no impact. The flashed firmware either works, or doesn't work at all.

Here you go.

dhcp-issue4.jpg

Here you go.

This is really weird. It fails at adding a row claiming that the row is null.

I really don't have any idea why you would getting these issues on totally different browsers. Sorry.

If you just press the pull down menu over MAC column, does it let you select a MAC it already sees there?

I'm not in front of my router but I want to say I usually just pick my MACs from there, or after I type them they automatically go to an all caps style.

That's just one thing that stood out to me, I could be chasing something that I'm imagining.

If you just press the pull down menu over MAC column, does it let you select a MAC it already sees there?

I'm not in front of my router but I want to say I usually just pick my MACs from there, or after I type them they automatically go to an all caps style.

That's just one thing that stood out to me, I could be chasing something that I'm imagining.

Yeah I tried that but when I click the pull down it's empty. Thanks anyway.

Guys, this seems to be a really weird problem. I can confirm that setting of DHCP range and manual assignment is working perfectly on my router. But looking on the screen capture posted above I've got an idea:

legacyofbob, please try first to apply the new DHCP range by pushing the "Apply" button and then try to enter manually assigned IP addresses. The sequence should look like this:

1. Enter custom DHCP range. Note: this range should be a SUBSET of the whole range, the example from the screen capture you posted is fine.

2. Push "APPLY"

3. Enable manual assignment. The example from the screen capture you posted is fine - your manual assignment have been already enabled.

4. Push "APPLY"

5. Enter manually assigned IP addresses. Note: each manual IP SHALL be out of DHCP range already defined above, the example from the screen capture you posted is fine.

6. Push "APPLY".

My theory is that the error happens because you are trying to manually assign an IP address which IS WITHIN the current DHCP range, as the new DHCP range has not been assigned yet. That will be fixed if you push the "APPLY" button to define the custom DHCP range BEFORE applying any manual IP assignments.

I'm sorry I can not test my proposal now, as I am not at home now and the router is also being heavily used now by other family members.

Last edited: