What's new

RT-N66U power adaptor failed. Need part number please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jelf

Occasional Visitor
Can someone please look on their power adaptor and tell me the Model Number. I may need to buy a replacement adaptor.

<edit> There actually is a model number printed in very small type on the adaptor. Alas, I shipped the busted one to ASUS never thinking I might have to buy one. As a result I never wrote it down.</edit>

On June 20th I came back from running errands and my router was dead. The power adaptor was plugged into an APC UPS, all the other gear worked fine and my wife reported no power glitches she noticed while I was gone.

No amount or sequence of button pressing was able to power up the router.

When I plugged the adaptor into a wall outlet the small blue light on the adaptor blinked rapidly. ASUS tech support says this indicates that the adaptor has failed.

I got a "non serial" RMA and sent the adaptor to ASUS for replacement. Oops - I sent it USPS but neglected to purchase "Delivery Confirmation" which would have given me a tracking number.

Apparently ASUS received the package since it shows up in their system as "serial number discrepancy". Hey - wake up! Adaptors do not have serial numbers. Duh! No one can find the package at their end.

My ugly Plan B is to spend ~$45 and buy an adaptor. But I need someone to post the part number please.

Other than that, the router works fine. I'm running one of the tomato flavors so I have a vpn client. I'm also driving a Roku wirelessly.

Last edited:
Leave it to ASUS to use a "differnet" AC adapter. The adapter puts out 19V, 1.58A and has an unusually small tip. Most routers today use 12V power supplies.

The ASUS part # is EXA1004UH.

You mean ASUS can't even tell you the replacement part # for something in one of its products?

Check around. You may be able to get it a lot cheaper from eBAY

Thanks much Tim. That was the number I needed. Previously I learned that the ASUS part store does not carry that item.

I spoke again with ASUS this morning and they promised I would hear something from them in 1-2 days. I told them even if all they had to say was that I was SOL, I was entitled to hear something.

Thanks much Tim. That was the number I needed. Previously I learned that the ASUS part store does not carry that item.

I spoke again with ASUS this morning and they promised I would hear something from them in 1-2 days. I told them even if all they had to say was that I was SOL, I was entitled to hear something.

I'd say you are entitled to a new adapter FREE of CHARGE!!. It's still in warrantie I guess?

Type that number in at ebay or Amazon, both have replacements for under $16. And the replacements are rated 2.1A. Stock power supply is a POS, I have to turn off the router, plug it in, then turn on the router. It just keeps blinking if plugged in with router turned on. This means it doesn't come back on after a power failure. It's even worse for me, as I'm stuck in a wheelchair & the router is out of my reach. Got to get somebody else to re-start it:mad:

Shame on Asus for providing such a lousy supply, and double shame on them for using 19V!

Ed

Wouldn't be the first time they dropped the ball on a power supply. Some eeePCs were also notorious for having overheating power supplies.

I was about to order a power supply and got some cheery news from ASUS. Their email says:

"There was a serial number discrepancy that caused a delay but it has been corrected and they are processing it for exchange now. Sorry for the inconvenience."

It remains unclear to me (1) why ASUS did not update their records promptly to clearly show they had received the package I sent and (2) how there can be a "serial number discrepancy" concerning a part that has no serial number.

Bottom line: I am happy to report that ASUS is replacing the power supply under the warranty.

I was about to order a power supply and got some cheery news from ASUS. Their email says:

"There was a serial number discrepancy that caused a delay but it has been corrected and they are processing it for exchange now. Sorry for the inconvenience."

It remains unclear to me (1) why ASUS did not update their records promptly to clearly show they had received the package I sent and (2) how there can be a "serial number discrepancy" concerning a part that has no serial number.

Bottom line: I am happy to report that ASUS is replacing the power supply under the warranty.

Hi Jelf,

I just met the very same situation as yours. However, this is the second day since I get the router. It's a big tragedy. :(

I just want to know that is your router revive when you use the new power supply? Because I bought the router from US and I lived in Australia. The Asus Australia won't repair products that bought overseas. And the return post fee from Au to US is quite expensive. So if you have solved the problem then I can just bought a new power supply by myself to make it work.:D

Many thanks.

Here is the rest of my story.

The adaptor that plugs into the wall has a blue LED. It is supposed to give a steady light. However when the router refused to power up that LED was blinking.

I called ASUS and they told me to just send in the power supply for replacement under the warranty and that is what I did.

The package I received back from ASUS contained a complete new router.

I took the power supply from the new router and tried it on the old router. The LED on the new power supply blinked and the router failed to power up.

I am now using the new router and all is fine.

Sorry, but the new power supply did not fix my problem.

If you do send your router to ASUS be certain that you get a tracking number. It is almost impossible for ASUS to find your package without a tracking number.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I think its time for me to buy a new router. Because I bought this N66u from US but I lived in Australia. And Asus Au refused to repair the item and suggest me send back to Asus US. However, the return fee to US almost cost $150:mad: So I decide use this money to buy a new one but definitely not an ASUS product.

But thanks anyway.:)

This is still going on. Just bought an N66U and the power supply lasted about two hours before it dimmed out. Got Tomato-USB installed, but that was about it.

I have the same power supply issue

I have the same Issue myself, trying to working with Asus to send out the power supply to them. Great threat all ! TY for sharing your experiences.

Old thread, but I think I got a faulty router... I just got it this morning in the mail, and when I plug the power supply, the WAN, LAN1, LAN2 and the light on the power supply are blinking non stop. The power light is not even on. Crap :/