What's new

RTN-56U can't access usb flash drive with firmware 3.0.0.4.374_5656

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eddiec

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I upgraded to the latest firmware and now I cannot access my usb flash drive I have attached to my RTN-56U. I get this message:

"Username and password is necessary to log in network place(Samba)"

But when I switch 'allow guest login' to ON I get the processing animation but afterwards it is still in the OFF position and it stays there.

I also can no longer access Download Master.

I've tried downgrading to the previous firmware I had installed but that isn't working either. I upload the previous working firmware and reboot and it still says 3.0.0.4.374_5656.

I'm wondering if there is a way to revert back to the virgin firmware that was installed when I unboxed the unit. If this is possible what settings would I need to re-input?

Please help. Thanks.

Unplug everything from the router except for an Ethernet cable to the computer that will flash the firmware you want. Download it beforehand and make sure you unzip it too. Keep in mind that the original firmware on the router is gone: no way to put it back unless you know the version and you can download it from a reputable site.

With everything unplugged as above, reboot the router.

Wait about 5 minutes after it reboots and flash the version of the firmware you want on the router. After you flash it, make sure you do a reset to defaults and a manual reboot (manual reboot: unplug the power cord from the router and wait a couple of minutes before you plug it in and start it up again).

Now, you can setup the router manually (don't restore from a config backup file or you will negate the reset to defaults).

At this point you should be at a stable point (almost) no matter which version of the firmware you have installed.

L&LD, thanks very much for your detailed reply.

I was away from all day today, when I got home I found everything is working except for Download Master. When I click on the Download Master icon I get a dialog message saying "http://192.168.1.1:8081 is not available".

I find Download Master's http download feature very useful. I don't know of another application that will download a file to my usb flash drive attached to my router, do you?

Sorry, I don't use or ever have used anything like Download Master.

You might want to reboot your computer and/or clear the browsers cache and see if that resolves that final issue for you?

Wow, strange. I unplugged the flash drive, put it into another computer, plugged it back in to the router and now Download Master works again. Yay!