What's new

RTN56U paranoid network printing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eddiec

Occasional Visitor
Hi, this may be a silly question but I have a Canon Pro-100 printer that features network printing. Is it safe to hook up to my router? I don't trust Canon (or any other corporation). Will the RTN56U automatically prevent any outgoing info from the printer or are there settings I need to change to secure it from transmitting anything to the outside world? Thanks.

The printer may or may not have an option to email and administrator if it encounters any problems - make sure that is set to off or disabled and you should be fine.

I wonder if Parental Control couldn't be used to allow your printer to have full LAN access, but no Internet access (by having an empty schedule for the printer's MAC)...

Hi, here are the option screens for the printer. Any suggestions on what settings if any would help? Thanks very much.

Preview of “Canon PRO-100 series Network Configuration”.jpg
network Canon PRO-100 other settings.jpg
network Canon PRO-100 admin password.jpg

You can try to turn off IPv6, enable a manual IP that is not in the range of automatic DHCP of your router on your printer's configuration pages.

On the router, on Parental control, enter the specific IP address for the printer and do not allow any internet access.

This may or may not work as RMerlin indicated - you will be able to tell us after you test.

Btw, after configuring everything as needed, power off both the printer and router for at least 5 minutes.

Turn on the printer first, wait 5 minutes, then turn on the router.

Now, you can test if the printer can print (and if PC are configured correctly; there should be no internet access for it).

Sorry, I'm a novice with routers.

I turned off IPv6.

I'm unclear on how to enable a manual IP that is not in the range of automatic DHCP on my printer's configuration pages. I have an available range from .2 - .54. Do I need to create something outside of that?

In the Parental Control I can only enter the printer's MAC address. Is that sufficient? I did leave the schedule empty.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!