What's new

separate g/n, n cannot ping bridged network, ok on b

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jjhung88

New Around Here
I have 4 routers in my home network, 2 G and 2 N.
#1 - verizon westell DSL modem/G wireless router combo 192.168.1.1, DHCP, stock firmware. LAN connected to PC, NAS, network printer and 192.168.1.3 router.
#2 - linksys G-wireless router 192.168.1.2 as a client bridge on DD-WRT connected to 192.168.1.1 wirelessly, no DHCP. LAN connected to 3 network printers.
#3 - TP-link 841ND on N-wireless only 192.168.1.3, connected to 192.168.1.1 via LAN, no DHCP, stock firmware
#4 - TP-link 841ND on N-wireless only 192.168.1.4 as a bridge, connected to 192.168.1.3 wirelessly via stock firmware WDS, no DHCP. LAN connected to home theatre network A/V receiver, digital media player, pogoplug with samba and HTPC.

I have a new Dell laptop that can run on g/n. When I am connected to the network on G (to 192.168.1.1), I can ping all 4 routers and any devices connected to them. When I am connected to network on N (to 192.168.1.3), I can ping 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 and any devices connected to these 2 g-routers, and only 192.168.1.3 and the LAN connected devices. When I ping 192.168.2.4, I get
reply from 192.168.1.216: destination host unreachable.
(192.168.1.216 is the Dell laptop's ip address)

Also all my android phones and tablets if connected via N-wireless will not be able to see the upnp devices connected to 192.168.1.4. I am not sure why this is happening. I am getting to a point that I want to install DD-WRT on the 192.168.1.4 router and hope that it will work.

Does anyone know if it is just some setting I might have not done right on the #4 router? I asked TP-link and tech support didn't help, just pointed me to FAQ.:(

Last edited:
It is most likely the use of WDS while being used as an access point, most router features like WDS and such seem to lack some functionality once you disable the DHCP to make the router an access point. If you use DD-WRT, you can avoid possible WDS problems by using the wireless client bridge mode. If you want the wireless client bridge link to work at N speeds you must select wireless N only, it won't connect at N in mixed mode.

yes, #4 router as a client bridge only on N. It used to work but I wonder if it was upgrading to the latest firmware that caused the problem, I'm not sure. I looks like I might have to install DD-WRT.

It used to work? In the same configuration? I was referring to the #3 needing DHCP enabled, since it is the WDS master, #4 is the WDS slave which only needs to be a simple access point. I think the problem is that both WDS master and slave are in access point mode. I could be wrong, but if it used to work, could it have been when #3 was in router mode(DHCP enabled)? Using DD-WRT on #4 and as a wireless client bridge would be one solution. If my theory is correct, another solution would be to enable DHCP on #3, but create a pool of addresses that do not overlap the DHCP pool #1 is currently providing, allowing the WDS master to function properly.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!