What's new

Share 3G internet between buildings (Please comment build)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

morglum

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this, but I've done a lot of research in that last days and here is what I've come up with. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My dad lives in a rural area in Quebec, Canada. No cable/phone lines, so he gets his internet through a Sierra Wireless 330U stick and his ISP is Rogers.

We'd like to share that internet through wifi in his house, and to another building located 110m away with clear line of sight.

So we need to :
A) find a router that accepts that Stick.
B) Find a way to connect the two buildings.

--------------
PART A
--------------
So far, I've found the TP-LINK TL-MR3220 router (34$) and the MoFi Network MOFI3500-3GN Version 2 (100$) locally. I am tempted to try the TP-Link, any comments?

----------------
PART B
---------------
To connect the two houses, I'm thinking about using 2 Engenius ENH200 (or ENH500 for 5Hz, 80$ each). One would be connected to the 3G router through ethernet and be set up as an AP outside.

The second would be in the second house and be pointed toward the first one and set up as a client.

Question: Can the client be used as an AP for the second house, or do I need to connect another router to it via ethernet to be used as an AP in the second house?
Question : Will the TP-Link Tl-MR3220 be able to allocated IP throguh DHCP to all devices?
What do you think of this hardware choice for bridging? I've also seen the TL-WA7510N (reviews not great) and I've heard about ubiquito nanostation (seems expensive).

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below, a diagram of what I'm planning to do.
OEqARU1.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Would I be better off using Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M2 (or M5) ?
People seem to be quite happy with them, and they dont seem to have the transparent bridge issue the Engeniuses get.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online