What's new

Sharing on a home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

back-n-black

New Around Here
Not sure where to start here, hope I'm in the correct forum.

I have been looking around and whenever there is a discussion about networks, the questions are about same or different ssid names. Concerns about which network they need to be connected and switching between networks to access the internet. A good concern but not mine ATM.

My house is not too big and have been generally satisfied with my old router until now. I have added a workshop in the back yard and have no access to my home network from it. The back yard is farely small so played around with my old Linksys WRT54G as an AP and was able to have wifi extended to my garage and workshop. The problem was it was quite slow and was a different network so all my devices could not see all my computers.

What I want to accomplish is a network that is accessable from all points on my property, where all my devices can see each other, share files, stream HD content on my smart TV, etc.

I have purchased a Netgear Router - AC1750 R6400-100NAS and NETGEAR Extender - AC1200 EX6200-100NAS. The EX6200 is configured as an AP, it's in a location that has hard connection to my router, that is close enough to the garage and workshop to provide wireless connectivity to both. My problem is my computers cannot see each other. I have not had to think about this before with my old archaic network hardware but now I have many networks, or do I?

By default the router has multiple ssid's made up of:
  • local ports
  • ssid_2G
  • ssid_5G
and even more on the extender/AP
  • local ports
  • ssid_ext2G
  • ssid_ext5G.
Are all these different networks that cannot see each other(each others shares, etc)? It sure looks like it. If so how does one generally configure these devices to provide such a network?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!