What's new

Single unused cable as MOCA point-point entry from fiber

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

movin4steve

New Around Here
I've tried to find a direct answer to the question but have failed. I have a relatively new home (4 years) and 1Gbps fiber has recently been run to my home. I only have external RG6 coax entry points to the home where they all terminate in a network panel. If I have an entirely unused coax cable with no splices or splitters in it that runs into my home, would MOCA 2.5 adapters on both ends allow me to create the bridge to my router and use the full 1Gbps data of the fiber connection?

I've tried to find a direct answer to the question but have failed. I have a relatively new home (4 years) and 1Gbps fiber has recently been run to my home. I only have external RG6 coax entry points to the home where they all terminate in a network panel. If I have an entirely unused coax cable with no splices or splitters in it that runs into my home, would MOCA 2.5 adapters on both ends allow me to create the bridge to my router and use the full 1Gbps data of the fiber connection?

MOCA.jpg

What you propose should work. However since you don't need/plan to run CATV video over the 30' RG6 cable you should also look at an Ethernet over coaxial cable adapter as another option. I can't tell you it will work better than MOCA but since it doesn't have to share frequencies with CATV it might.

What you propose should work. However since you don't need/plan to run CATV video over the 30' RG6 cable you should also look at an Ethernet over coaxial cable adapter as another option.

Is that actually a distinct thing from MoCA? I googled the phrase just now and what I found was MoCA adapters ... well, also a few sub-Gbps solutions that might or might not be MoCA-compatible, but surely aren't competitive anyway.

I am using MoCA 2.5 in one place in my house, and it works moderately well, but it has strange compatibility issues: depending on what gear I connect, I may or may not be able to get better than 1Gbps throughput from it. I'd be interested to know of alternatives if there really are some.

Is that actually a distinct thing from MoCA? I googled the phrase just now and what I found was MoCA adapters ... well, also a few sub-Gbps solutions that might or might not be MoCA-compatible, but surely aren't competitive anyway.

I am using MoCA 2.5 in one place in my house, and it works moderately well, but it has strange compatibility issues: depending on what gear I connect, I may or may not be able to get better than 1Gbps throughput from it. I'd be interested to know of alternatives if there really are some.
Here is a link to Amazon for one particular adapter. There are others and sometimes they include MOCA in the description but I'm not sure if they will coexist with video on the same cable.

I may or may not be able to get better than 1Gbps throughput from it. I
“Better” than 1 Gbps?

That could just as easily be related to the spec of the Ethernet ports on all the devices in the path of the test. MoCA 2.5 offers up to 2500 Mbps shared throughput, but MoCA 2.5 adapters come with 1.0 or 2.5 GbE networks ports; so max unidirectional throughput would depend on the adapters used and the rest of the network interfaces involved.

Yes, that would work, and it’s what Frontier deploys when they can’t get a Cat6 line between the ONT and router.

And it doesn’t necessarily have to be an isolated coax line if all your coax is otherwise unused, and there might be a need for MoCA to support LAN connectivity. (example)

“Better” than 1 Gbps?
Yeah. I've mentioned this before in other threads, but what I find is that connecting devices with 2.5G ethernet ports will let me get throughput (as measured by iperf3 single-stream) of 2.33Gbps in one direction but very much less in the other direction, if the receiving device is one of the not-too-compatible ones. Same test between two devices that the MoCA adapters do like gives 2.33Gbps either way. This happens for me with both ScreenBeam ECB7250 and ASUS MA-25 MoCA adapters. It's weird. I wouldn't be obsessing about it except that one of the devices the adapters don't like is the Zyxel switch I have connected at the far end of the coax run. I don't really want to buy a different switch just to see if it's any better :mad:. The Cisco switch at the near end of the run is one they like, so I could buy another of those, but man that's a pricey answer.