What's new

Skynet Skynet - Router Firewall & Security Enhancements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In reference to forwarding all NTP traffic to a specific LAN address, this functionality is already included in Merlins firmware by forcing all NTP traffic to the local NTP server.

I see. But there is no option for a different IP address, as my network has NTP and DNS servers independently configured from the router.

This is also already included in the firmware via the "DNSFilter" feature.

My network has an independent DNS server, I'm not using this service on the asuswrt. Therefore, the need to setup the forward/redirect for those kinds of traffic, on those hardcoded devices.

Would be awesome to have those features for advanced network configurations.

Thanks.

My network has an independent DNS server, I'm not using this service on the asuswrt. Therefore, the need to setup the forward/redirect for those kinds of traffic, on those hardcoded devices.

This can be done with DNSFilter if I'm not mistaken by using a custom filter + exception for the DNS server its-self so your not in a DNS loop.

This can be done with DNSFilter if I'm not mistaken by using a custom filter + exception for the DNS server its-self so your not in a DNS loop.
Yes, I managed to get that done right now through DNSFilter. Thanks.

And for the NTP service, please?

Thank you.

BTW, I'm having an issue:

[$] /jffs/scripts/firewall banmalware
=============================================================================================================
Downloading filter.list | [0s]
Refreshing Whitelists | [3s]
Consolidating Blacklist | [5s]
[*] List Content Error Detected - Stopping Banmalware
=============================================================================================================

@Adamm, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Yes, I managed to get that done right now through DNSFilter. Thanks.

And for the NTP service, please?

Thank you.

Unfortunately this is somewhat out of the scope of Skynet. I try keep features related to router based services, otherwise there will be requests to support every external service.

You can easily achieve this manually via an IPTables rule in your firewall-start script though.

Hello Adamm I have a feature request.
Besides enabling and disabling logging it would be nice to have an option to set it to RAM memory.

For example the menu could look like:
Code:
Select Logging Option:
[1]  --> USB Storage
[2]  --> RAM Memory
[3]  --> Disable

Hello Adamm I have a feature request.
Besides enabling and disabling logging it would be nice to have an option to set it to RAM memory.

For example the menu could look like:
Code:
Select Logging Option:
[1]  --> USB Storage
[2]  --> RAM Memory
[3]  --> Disable

Unfortunately after 1000 messages or so the syslog gets automatically purged, plus if we don't manage log entries it gets quite cluttered and hides potentially important messages.

Unfortunately after 1000 messages or so the syslog gets automatically purged, plus if we don't manage log entries it gets quite cluttered and hides potentially important messages.

I don't really understand, the syslog already is stored in memory: /tmp/syslog.log
I meant the skynet.log. With this small modification it perfectly works, and it has nothing to do with de syslog.log.
Code:
##skynetlog="${skynetloc}/skynet.log"
skynetlog="/tmp/skynet.log"
touch $skynetlog
Or have I missed something?

I don't really understand, the syslog already is stored in memory: /tmp/syslog.log
I meant the skynet.log. With this small modification it perfectly works, and it has nothing to do with de syslog.log.
Code:
##skynetlog="${skynetloc}/skynet.log"
skynetlog="/tmp/skynet.log"
touch $skynetlog
Or have I missed something?
What does it gain you (or us)? Consuming more RAM over time until the router runs out of memory? What is the downside of USB in your setup?

What does it gain you (or us)? Consuming more RAM over time until the router runs out of memory? What is the downside of USB in your setup?
Prevent to many usb flash drive erase/write cycles.
In 24 hour I have approximately 8.000 entry's in the skynet.log file.
Memory shouldn't be an issue, at the moment 182 MB free.

Prevent to many usb flash drive erase/write cycles.
In 24 hour I have approximately 8.000 entry's in the skynet.log file.
Memory shouldn't be an issue, at the moment 182 MB free.

Yeah, at the moment. But it would become an issue.

As far as USB drives go, small capacity ones are very cheap. If you're concerned about it wearing out, I wouldn't be. I've not heard or read one report of Skynet script destroying flash drives.

I've been using the scripts in my sig for over a year on a USB drive that was already years old. Still going strong and I expect it to keep going for years to come.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!