What's new

Sometimes is better to stay wired...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For serious. I've seen this exact boneheaded stuff done. Though nothing quite that silly/stupid. Just a couple of moves from "fixed desktops" to "mobile workstations".

The stupid part was the resounding "meh" received when docking stations were considered for them.

Less cost not needing docking stations, monitors, keyboards, etc.

I mean, the employee can connect a mouse if they need to and the power adapter is easy to plug in.

No provisions were made to wire the laptops in to the network (when the desktops were taken away, so were the network cables).

Come a few days later when hundreds of laptops were all utilizing the wireless network...a bulk order of around a thousand patch cables was made for next day delivery. Several weeks later proper docking stations were ordered for all laptops. Followed by monitors and keyboards.

Because of course ALL of the stuff the employees used to have was trashed/recycled/sold off promptly.

With proper docking stations and wired connectivity when employees were at their desk things worked AWESOME. Its just when there were hundreds of employees, even with many access points, trying to use the wireless network at once, things were a mess. It technically worked (no kilobit speeds, this was 802.11n afterall :p), but it was a much worse experience than when everything was wired.

With wired at the desk and ability to be wireless in meeting rooms, everything was working great. Office of the future and all that.

Fortunately, life being occasionally fair, the person who's decision it was to "do away" with everything and not test, etc. was looking for a new job within a few weeks of everything having been "fixed" finally.

wired>wireless. Always. On any medium. People can whine at me about the cable--that beats them whining to me about the speed!