What's new

Stable Wired Performance!! - 50mbps - Wireless for kids

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shad0w

New Around Here
Hi there,

I'm looking for a router. I'm interested in its wired performance more so than the wireless. It would be really great if you guys can put in some input.

My laptop is an Asus G50VT-X5 which also serves as my desktop. So I prefer a wired connection. I currently have a 12 mbps plan and the fastest download speeds I get is around 9 mbps ( wired, directly connected to the modem )

I would like to update my internet to 50 mbps and that requires a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem, Motorola SB6120 - $100!

I would have been perfectly happy directly connecting to the new modem but my kids would like to have wireless just for the occassional surfing, so wireless performance is not top priority. The only N protocol laptop is mine and it will remain wired. Standard 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN.

My main purpose is downloading and gaming. I download very heavily and would appreciate all the speed I can get.

Basically,

1) Need good wired performance
2) Need relatively easy Port Forwarding setup. ( Port forwarding is a must )
3) Few headaches as possible

Thank you

Check the Router Charts and you'll find plenty of products that can handle 50 Mbps download. Most will be wireless since that is where the market is. For gaming, you want to make sure that it handles 200 Simultaneous Connections (our test limit).

All routers have port forwarding features.