What's new

STP Protocol Enabled by default?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsmiddleton4

Very Senior Member
I'm no expert but did have a time when I had multiple routers, wds mode, ethernet bridge mode, stuff like that.

So I learned a little bit about STP stuff.

I thought Spanning Tree Protocol was used in multiple router setup to keep whose who in the zoo straight when dealing with multiple routers so they don't end up talking in an endless circle.

In other words when just using one router disabled is the preferred setting.

If I'm close regarding STP wouldn't it make more sense to have it disabled by default?

STP has always been enabled by default in Asuswrt. I simply added a webui option to toggle it.

Keep in mind the router also has an internal bridge, and people can also have switches on their network. I assume that STP should also prevent accidental loops there.

There is almost absolutely no reason to disable spanning tree in a small network. You simply will not have enough devices (switches, hubs, routers) battling it out to (read: election of a root bridge) make any appreciable difference in the amount of traffic. That said, even in a corporate environment, I can't think of a compelling reason to disable STP since port speeds are so high these days. In the time of ultra expensive switched 10Mbps ports, maybe, but not now with affordable Gigabit.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!