What's new

Strange device name in client list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Indeed. Unless other people start reporting similar strange names appearing by themselves I guess we'll never know. I suspect it was just a one-off caused by "000925" contained within a corrupted nvram variable.

well - because the IEEE OUI assignments are based on the honor system - there's no regulatory enforcement here...

It only takes a couple of keystrokes for a factory in Shenzen to program a MAC address header into the factory line, and build stuff... I usually see things like this on cheap Android TV boxes and IP cameras from China - not calling them out directly, just stating what is...

going back to OP's concerns - it could be a fake switch, or it could be someone re-wrote the MAC addr of the switch itself, this is possible.