What's new

Strange WAN connection issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clvk07

Hi Using AX86u with latest merlin firmware.
Was using fibre ISP directly connected to the ASUS all good.
I switched to Virgin media and using their router in Bridge mode. They are a cable ISP. I used them before with asus and merlin and no issue.

Now seems that unless I setup the internet wan connection (get IP automatically from ISP) using wan aggregation option, the internet doesn't connect properly. (get error message your ISP DHCP is not working properly unless I use wan aggregation but nothing connected to LAN 1) . I tried connecting to a netgear router and works just fine.

Is this a sort of a bug, any ideas?

Last edited:
Is this a sort of a bug, any ideas?

WAN disconnection questions come quite often. Seems like it's ISP, modem, router specific.

One of the last threads is on the link below, the user had to replace the router to solve the issue.

And this one related:

Last edited:
Turn off the modem for 15-20 mins to free up any existing DHCP lease on the ISP end, then try again. Cable ISPs will refuse to allocate a lease if there is already an existing lease for a different MAC address.

I've had this issue in the past, I found if you do the following it should resolve your issue.

1. Disconnect the Hub from the WAN port.
  2. Switch the Hub off for 30 minutes.
  3. Login into the Asus, under WAN have the following options enabled;
    1711538014520.png

1711538034350.png
  4. Press apply.
  5. http://router.asus.com/Advanced_WANPort_Content.asp > Make sure it is like this;
    1711538121709.png

However if you're on the Gig1 package select the 2.5G port and press apply, this will reboot.
  6. Connect your WAN (Once the Hub is powered up) cable from your 2.5G port on the Hub to the 2.5G port (Green) on the Asus - ONLY APPLICABLE IF YOU HAVE Gig1 Package. If not make sure you set the Primary WAN to 1G and press apply and connect it to the blue port on the Asus router.

Using Wan aggregation works (1GB ISP). Tried the suggestions of leaving it off for 30 minutes no joy. Also tried the settings in the screenshots.
Sys log doesn't show any error or WAN down.

Only way I get it to work is with the WAN aggregation enabled see attached . What is the difference from a DHPC Lease perspective?
As said LAN 1 is not connected so there is no WAN aggregation... So confusing....

Last edited:
1711635948677.png

Sorry issue with images in previous post... All good with Wan aggregation on, error your ISP DHCP is not working properly is gone. If I change back, error comes back

Sorry issue with images in previous post... All good with Wan aggregation on, error your ISP DHCP is not working properly is gone. If I change back, error comes back
Sounds like something in the router's nvram is screwed up. You'd probably need to do a factory reset and manual setup to fix it. I, like a lot of other people here, have the same router and ISP and have never seen this problem before.

I also have never seen the issue mentioned in the threads in post #2. I know folks around complain about it, but I was never able to replicate it. My Cable ISP allows device change at will, first IP lease is short 1h, changes to usual 24h after. It even allows 2x routers connected to the same modem/router in bridge mode with both routers getting different public IPv4 addresses. I never had to unplug the ISP device and wait. In my opinion the issue is specific ISP device to specific router related.

Be sure you've using the virgin equipment in modern only mode, turn off residential gateway is the option on the business gear they supply.
Also beware of their static IPs if you've selected one, it's not static, it's 'virtual static'. Was impossible for me to configure my firewall the way I wanted to with it on as traffic was all going via USA (from UK).

Well mystery resolved. 😂 Factory reseat would have fixed :) but problem wasn't NVRAM...
the IPTV page had a tagging for VLAN 10 with my previous provider but totally forgot :)
Removed the tag and all good. Still hard to understand how was working fine with Wan aggregation with only main Internet port connected. But all good.... Thanks to all......

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!